Some quesions about Mate and its encryption

First off I will give a little background on myself. I have been an avid openSUSE user as well as BT/Kali user for many years. The last time I touched a Ubuntu/Debian system was roughly 4 years ago. I would give the sysinfo but that even seems to have problems so I will have to do it this way.

ASUS GL752VW; Release 16.04.1 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 64-bit / Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz × 8 / Nvidia Geforce GTX 960m/ Memory: 15.6 GiB

Now the problems I have been having could very well be me or the hardware. The first time I installed Ubuntu Mate I enabled Encryption as per request since this machine is out in the field with valuable data and to ensure encryption from any of the lazy people who use this who forget. So we get to the first boot and Crypt locks up and I figured it was the initial video drivers.

I go into recovery mode and change the drivers from the Nouveau drivers to the Nvidia Proprietary Driver and that fixed that… for a while. After trying to install Wireshark (which does not work for some reason) and a few others for the client (about 4 boots) the OS just refused to load except for recovery mode. I then search the forums and found some others have had problems with Encryption and found out it can only be removed by reinstalling it fully. To bypass this problem because the Client is going to use this system to check for disturbances in Internet connectivity I tried a Live CD of Kali Linux which I then found out Ubuntu Mate has no failsafe for Boot keys… It also seems to have its way with the BIOS and never saves settings.

So I had to reinstall Mate without Encryption to remove it. So I am coming here to see if someone has some suggestions. I would personally like to try Ubuntu Mate on my own system instead of having a command line all the time and make it more friendly for other people to use my computer and not bother me all the time. I have the exact same Laptop as this guy again its an ASUS GL752VW.

What kind of encryption does Ubuntu Mate use (conflicting sources online) and why is there no failsafe? Is it the hardware thats the issue? Why does the BIOS not save settings, is it because of the encryption you use? Do you have any other suggestions for distributions like Ubuntu for this person (he hates openSUSE and Kali layouts and systems so using mine is out of the question)?

Any suggestions and help is appreciated!