Sound changed from box to monitor

I recently upgraded from 18.04 to 20.04. On 18.04 my speakers were plugged into my box and functioned without any problems. On 20.04, I have to plug them into my monitor (same monitor as b4). The sound is weaker and after a while it starts to produce static.

Sound settings just gives me one device and one "settings for the selected device". What do I have to do to get my 20.04 to recognise the jack on my box instead of the one on my monitor?

Generally speaking, different output jacks are not registered as different devices -- they are often registered as the same sound card but through a different "connector". You can switch output connectors using the same volume control program, under the "Output" tab. Example (I have really basic audio hardware):

Check that out and see if changing the "connector" using that menu works. Keep me posted on this, please -- I am genuinely interested in this problem.

Gordon, thanks for the response. Below is a screenshot of what I see on my output tab. There's only one connector shown.

cat /proc/asound/cards

shows

0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                     HDA Intel PCH at 0xdf320000 irq 129
1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                     HDA NVidia at 0xdf080000 irq 17

looking under output gives one device - expected
now try under hardware - should be 2 devices , might get some joy there

Sadly, no...

I hit pay dirt!

Somebody else has had this problem: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1230383/soundcard-not-detected-by-pulseaudio-but-by-alsa

TL;DR: It's a known kernel bug and there are several ways to go about it, but sudo alsa force-reload apparently does the trick. Try it out (and I'd suggest reading the article yourself and trying some of the tips). Keep us posted, please.

Bam! You da man :grin:

I did the force reload. It worked. Rebooted and had to force reload again. Did that and then purged timidity as per the instructions. Rebooted and all is golden.

Pics here:

Thank you, thank you and Thank You!

Thank whoever came up with that idea in the first place. Glad to hear it worked.