Status of Ubuntu MATE 18.04 for Raspberry Pi 3 B & B+?

What a mess https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+source/livecd-rootfs/+bug/1805668

@Wimpy Any updates? Not many sleeps to Christmas.

Yeah, what’s going on regarding this? Is this update coming in 10 days or slipping to 2019?

@Wimpy If santa is not delivering a 18.04 mate, then please update the website so that it is clear that the current version is not suitable for the 3B+. I’m sure thousands of 3B+'s will be given as presents.

Whilst talking about websites, pretty sure your flavour maker site is hacked Website hacked?

I believe that if and when Ubuntu MATE 18.04 is released for the Pi, it should use the raspi3-firmware kernel provided by Ubuntu instead of the Raspbian kernel. I’m planning to do the same with my Debian ARM64 images when Debian Buster becomes stable.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/raspi3-firmware

For your debian image I would recommend grub2 instead of raspi3-firmware.

@code_exec Just to add a bit more info…

The reason I recommend grub2 is mainly because fedora and openSUSE use it. I think the distros outside of Raspbian should be forming a consensus on how to boot the pi.

They use u-boot to emulate uefi. The pi’s bootloader (config.txt etc) loads the device tree and applies any overlays. This is passed on to u-boot. Which then passes it on to grub2. Grub2 then loads the kernel and initrd like any other system.

raspi3-firmware contains the firmware, but it also contains scripts/hooks to modify the config.txt and copy kernels etc to the firmware partition.

Doesn’t GRUB2 only work on computers with a BIOS/UEFI?

Just saw your second reply. I’ve used u-boot in the past on the Pi 3 with the Ubuntu 18.04 generic arm64 kernels, but it appears it used the OpenGL driver which causes the display output to go off screen.

But doesn’t debian’s generic kernel also use the vc4 driver?

I have the same problem with my monitor, but it is still usable.

When I used the generic Ubuntu kernel, any application which used 3D graphics froze the Pi, leaving me with no other option than to reboot.

That’s just a bug with the ubuntu config.

In Xorg you can always make the screen fit correctly with an xorg.conf. I haven’t yet figured how to do it outside of X as my normal way doesn’t work on the pi.

Any way to fix this issue?

With the ubunu config? Not with the generic kernel unless you recompile it I think. That’s for the ubuntu kernel devs to fix. You could send a patch to the mailing list to try and hurry it up.

By far the easiest solution is to switch to ubuntu’s raspi2 kernel. You can’t use grub2 with this though as it is missing the necessary config (sigh).

I’m building an Ubuntu 18.10 ARM64 image at the moment and it will use the linux-raspi2 kernel.

Great!

Have you seen that a new Debian image has been made recently http://gwolf.org/node/4133 ?

I don’t know why more people don’t make their own images/installation media. For example, using the files I’ve already posted somebody could easily make a ubuntu-mate installer for 18.04.

Will MATE 18.04 or 18.10 for Raspberry Pi 3 be 64-bit or only 32-bit?

I hope that Ubuntu MATE on the Pi will use the linux-raspi2 kernel in the future instead of the Raspbian kernel. That way, you would have a 32-bit userland and kernel, and you could then install linux-raspi2:arm64 to enable support for 64-bit applications.

Does anyone know how exactly the Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and Ubuntu MATE images were setup so that on first boot, setup loads and lets you create your own user account? On my Debian ARM64 images, there’s already a default username and password, like on Raspbian Lite and older releases of Raspbian.

They just mimic an oem install. oem-config is part of ubiquity (the ubuntu installer). For pre-installed images there is a package jasper (jasper-initramfs) that also used to be used with oem-config, but that doesn’t seem to be used anymore. All are ubuntu packages, not sure if Debian has an equivalent in their repos.

Try an oem install from a ubuntu server image to figure out how it works.