Streaming Videos in Firefox: audio just acoustic noise

I use Ubuntu Mate 16.04.02 on a RPi 3. If I stream a video in firefox ( for example: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/baden-wuerttemberg-verdaechtiger-im-mordfall-maria-boegerl-bestreitet-die-tat-1.3453431 ) the audio output is just acoustic noise. It sounds like an old radio between two stations. The audio output of Youtube videos is just fine. I tried different browser (except chromium). With them it works all fine, but they all crash periodically. Is this a known issue or is there something wrong with my system? By the way: if I watch local videos with omxplay or vlc I here the correct audio.

I get the same result with Pi3
Derek

Thanks for your answer.

I also have this problem in Firefox on the RPI3. However, in the Midori Browser everything plays as it should.

I have exactly the same problem and reported it here over one year ago. I have seen the issue surface again from time to time in discussions here but with no resolution.

I have been watching this for long enough that I have tried to determine which videos will not play the sound properly. It is definitely Not All of them. As close as I can tell, about 50% of all videos will not play the audio -just static. However, if I play any one of them again say a few days later - they may play properly. No apparent rule for which or when the sound will fail.

My work around is to install “YouTube Video Download and Convert” addon. If the YT standard player fails to play the sound you can choose a secondary player within the YT page. If I choose the WEBM format option, the video will most likely play with normal sound (98%). If not, it also gives you the choice to play the video with an external player like VLC which usually works well.

This work around has served me well but it still sucks! I wish the Ubuntu folks would talk to the Firefox folks and figure it out. This interrupts my work every day!

Had the same issue. First tried to back date the install for Firefox, no help. Then switched to chromium and worked fine. I also have issues with the Pi 3 defaulting to analog output rather than the connected Bluetooth.