Suggestion of inclusion of compton compositor

Still locking with the “unredir” line removed I’m afraid. I should also say, thank you very much for this Martin, since it clearly has little relevance post 14.04.

Am confused. The tested config, your and mine, are effectively equivalent :neutral_face:

Well I know that using no config file at all with just the command:

compton -c -m 0.8

“works”

But, I am wondering, now, if I have ever actually been doing this with the hardware or if it has just been doing it with software.

As for running with a config file, I did do that with my last pc, which was an old dell pentium D. I cant remember what gpu it had, though I think it was an nvidia. In any event, on that pentium D, it worked fully with a full config file which was, presumably utilizing the hardware on the GPU. I have never actually used a config file on this new pc. When installing and setting it up, I happened across a website that listed the command "compton -c -m as being sufficient to get it up and running and it has always seemed to work well enough just like that for me.

However, all of the large config files I have used form this thread have locked it up apart form the one I found during the thread. Although, it does have a problem in that when i go to full screen on any streaming internet video, the screen goes blue with the sound still running. It’s not locked up though cos I can press the ESC key and it goes back to a fully playing embedded video in a web page.

As mentioned before, I have narrowed down whatever is causing the blue screen effect to:

backend = "glx";
paint-on-overlay = true;
glx-no-stencil = true;
vsync = "opengl-swc";

If I include only the above lines in the config file, it will run, but still with the blue screen effect. Presumably, this means is is using the GPU, but problematically in some way.

Something really odd has now happened.

I have renamed all of the various test compton.config files in my .config folder so they are not called up when compton runs and have reinstated just marco as the windows manager with compositing diabled. Then i have started compton in my usual way with just the simple command compton -c -m 0.8

I have got all of the normal drop shadows on menus and panels. I have got all of the transparent menus, But my guake terminal is only now doing fake transparency. This is to say, it is painting the desktop background, but not including any intervening objects such as icons, windows etc that lie between the desktop background and guake terminal

But, it is exactly as it was before I started experimenting. I don’t understand what has changed.

okay scratch that. Guake just needed to be closed down and restarted. all working now as expected

Actually, I just have fired up compiz (and have been using it intermittently over the last couple of days while we have been messing around with compton) and the problem I was having previously with the minimize, maximise and close buttons regularly disappearing on Firefox, doesn’t seem to be happening with Chromium, which is the browser I now mainly use…:sweat_smile:

So, I might just say bollocks to it and use Compiz…:laughing:

I submitted a merge proposal to upstream Compiz that fixes the Firefox decorations disappearing. In ccsm go to Workarounds and tick the first option labelled something like “Keep minimised previews”.

I would like to fix Compton too because I don’t know how long Compiz will be viable. The -c -m options you’ve been using don’t enabled hardware acceleration and don’t enable required features (disable shadows on docks and panels for example) that MATE requires.

I’m going to go with what I have now because it works great on Intel and nvidia and I suspect your fighting driver bugs that have been fixed post 14.04.

2 Likes

So, I released a new version MATE Tweak yesterday. It is now in Debian unstable and Ubuntu 16.04 archives.

• Bad news is, I can reproduce the issue @stevecook172001 had using VirtualBox.
  • Good news is, I’ve got a fix for it.

Compton has a -b option to daemonise it. That is the problem, if I ditch that and simply use & to background the process it is fine. So, I’ll have to hurriedly get a new version released.

2 Likes

Here’s this fix:

Hi Wimpy

I have compton running with your original script. Can I just replace the old with this new script?

I just upgraded 16.04 and comption is now in Mate Tweak.

1 Like

So I switched to compton using mate tweak and now have no keyboard or mouse input, also no panel.

I tried this again on another install with the same results.

I cannot pull up a terminal, but have tty access. All I have tried so far is a reboot.

Running geforce and proprietary driver.

Also running in virtualbox.

The fix is not in the version of MATE Tweak you just got via 16.04 updates. Hope to have a fixed version out very soon.

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

I should say, what with the recent news about no proprietary drivers for my AMD card in 16.04, I was a bit fed up cos it meant that Compiz was misbehaving on me. However, I have found that using the new Compton/Marco setting in Mate Tweak has got rid of any tearing issues. I don’t actually know if it is doing via software or hardware, but I don’t really care cos I aint go no tearing!

1 Like

It uses hardware :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m using Mate 16.04 on my newish system. Intel Core i5 6500 with on chip graphics, no discreet GPU. I was using the default Marco setting but my system crashed twice but when I use Marco/Compton it runs well, it seems.

Also, the Marco without compositing setting runs very well and I may just stick to that for ease of use.

If I use the integrated compton solution I still get screen tearing. Installing compton manually on xubuntu worked flawlessly (no tearing).

With Compiz I don’t get any tearing, but I don’t like Compiz due to other bugs.

My System:
integrated intel card
nvidia gt 630m
open source graphics driver (I hate that Nvidia still hasn’t managed to give linux users optimus support)

Hi tea.

You can substitute the Compton Config file you were using under XFCE and see if that fixes things: see here.

thanks for your help

I will give it a shot