Support for Raspberry Pi 4?

Ntfs. Nothing fancy. I have not tried a freshly formatted drive. I cant.. I don't have an extra 8tb lying around to copy it over if it works.

All the drives work fine in windows.

The second post I made in that thread describes how to get a Pi4 up with MATE 18.04 via an upgrade from 16.04 and actually results in a more stable system. I have done it several times and just put a 4 GB Pi 4 in service as a workstation with an SSD in a USB3 enclosure with a clone of the 'PI_ROOT' partition on the SSD. Over 300 MB/s reported by hdparm and it is FAST!

The first procedure I documented has a glitch in that the system won't show the login prompt until I press CTRL-ALT-F1 (or F2, 3, etc) and then just wait and the login prompt will appear. Another problem that seems to appear in all installations is that is you don't see the powerup script try using the other HDMI connector. I have had different installations using alternate video ports.

That’s because Ntfs is a proprietary file system of windows. That’s why a Linux install can’t read the drives out of the box. There are some workarounds, but if you want to use the drive dedicated with the pi it’s better to reformat in something like ext4. Ubuntu is not going to help you with this any way better than raspbian.

There is a distro called RaspEX Build 190807 is now available to download, though it's not based on Ubuntu Mate: https://news.softpedia.com/news/raspex-project-brings-ubuntu-19-10-eoan-ermine-with-lxde-to-the-raspberry-pi-4-527133.shtml

It looks like Raspbian, which already works on the RPi 4.

Here is the way how I got Mate running on RPi4:

This method is based on installing Ubuntu Server and then replacing the firmware by Raspbian firmware and is based on the following instructions:

1. Get image from:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases/bionic/release/ubuntu-18.04.2-preinstalled-server-armhf+raspi3.img.xz

1. Unpack and burn into SD Card:
xz -d ubuntu-18.04.2-preinstalled-server-armhf+raspi3.img.xz
sudo ddrescue -D --force ubuntu-18.04.2-preinstalled-server-armhf+raspi3.img /dev/sdx

Insert/mount the micro SD card in your computer and navigate to the “boot” partition. Delete everything in the existing folder so it is completely empty.

1. Download firmware from:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/archive/master.zip

The latest firmware is everything inside master.zip “boot” folder (including subfolders). We want to extract everything from “boot” (including subfolders) to our micro SD’s “boot” partition that we just emptied in the previous step. Don’t forget to get the “overlays” folder as that contains overlays necessary to boot correctly.

1. Create/Update config.txt and cmdline.txt

Navigate to the micro SD /boot/ partition. Create a blank cmdline.txt file with the following line:

dwc_otg.fiq_fix_enable=2 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rootflags=noload net.ifnames=0

Next we are going to create config.txt with the following content:

## Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on
[pi4]
[all]
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=82
disable_overscan=1
  1. Final steps

Connect Ethernet cable, put in the card into RPI and boot.
It may take up to 10 minutes to boot, especially if mouse is not connected, so be patient.
Once Raspberry is running, connect to it using ssh, with user/password : ubuntu/ubuntu
and then run the following commands as root.

apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade 
apt-get -y purge unattended-upgrades
apt remove flash-kernel initramfs-tools
apt-get -y install mate-desktop-environment lightdm
apt-get -y remove lxd lxd-client
apt-get purge cloud-init
rm -rf /etc/cloud/
rm -rf /var/lib/cloud/
apt-get -y install haveged
systemctl enable haveged

1. Update firmware
    Finally, you may want to update the firmware and install modules:
git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware
cp -r firmware/boot/* /boot/firmware/
cp -r firmware/modules/* /lib/modules
2 Likes

Image link updated; http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases/bionic/release/ubuntu-18.04.3-preinstalled-server-armhf+raspi3.img.xz

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to make an operating system like this compatible with the new hardware?

Ubuntu MATE isn't a full-time project unfortunately, so progress is crippled to everyone's free time. I know some members travel on business trips; have family duties or other priorities (e.g. 19.10 beta) which will result in even less time on the project for weeks at a time.

While it wouldn't take long for anyone to cobble together an image from existing parts (see previous posts), an official release will go through :+1: Quality Assurance to confirm all features are working smoothly and problematic bugs are fixed.

2 Likes

if you want a stable and easy solution simply install mate in raspbian buster:

1. Update
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

2. Install mate
    sudo apt-get install mate-core mate-desktop-environment

3. Add mate as default environment for your user by adding this line
    sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
    In the wizard, type the number corresponding to mate

4. Install network manager and blueman:
    sudo apt install network-manager network-manager-gnome blueman
    sudo apt purge openresolv dhcpcd5 bluealsa

5. Reboot and be happy:
    sudo reboot

:grin:
Cheers Uwe

2 Likes

Hello dr-n,
i followed your guide to have mate desktop, and all works fine, BUT i have a problem.
I don't have the ability to access the wifi and the bluetooth, it's like the drivers are missing.
Obviously i'm using RPI4.
How can i do to solve???
Thanks

Hello Andrea,
do you use raspbian buster?
did you make update and upgrade?
did you uninstall openresolv dhcpcd5 bluealsa?
check:
sudo apt install lshw
then
lshw

for me wifi is like this:
*-network:0
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan0
serial: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=brcmfmac driverversion=7.45.154 firmware=01-4fbe0b04 ip=192.168.1.22 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11

I used noobs to install Raspbian, and among the aviable choices of noobs i installed the full version of raspbian.
I think it's raspbian buster.
I followed your guide step by step.
I tried to use a wifi pendrive but nothing changes.
Inside "Control center", under the voice "Internet and network" there is only "Network proxy" and not other things.
Are there many drivers for wifi to download separately?
If i haven't other choice i try to reinstall it all!

All I did was go into the terminal and type: sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get install mate. It works fine. The only problem is it takes really long to download. Sometimes it takes like 5 hours, but that's not usual. For me it took about an hour and 30 minutes. But that only gets you Ubuntu Mate apps not ubuntu mate os.

I think it's better to try the buster image instead of noobs

can you post the output?

Hi guys
I don't see a link to the download for RPi4 for the 19.10 recent release? Is the download page still being updated?
Much thx

I got it from here :

bad perf on my pi4 4Gb

enjoy

Thx, but that is a Ubuntu Server distro for RPi4.
I will wait for the Ubuntu MATE flavored version. No rush.
Ty