Support for SIS graphics cards please

Do you want to try some SIS code I’ve found?

Hi Dave,

that might be nice but nothing too complicated please!.

Can you post it here so others can see it too?. :smiley:

I actually have 2 old SIS deb packages which I intend to try out on Ubuntu 12.04 and see if that does the trick!. :smiley:

OK

What I want to try is the SIS Kernel Modesetting Driver to see if it works with the 671. We will
compile and load the driver via DKMS. I’ve got a script that does all of the heavy lifting for
DKMS so it should be easy.

(1) Let’s see what device we have. We should have PCI ID [1039:0671]. Verify by running

lspci -nn

(2) We should have loaded the sis_agp kernel driver. Verify lsmod | grep sis

(3) Let’s see what modules the Xorg server loads.

grep "oadModule" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(We want to view modules that get loaded -and- unloaded. “oadModule” is not a typo.)

The Xorg server should be trying to find and load the “sis” and/or “sisfb” module. If true, we can
continue. Else, things get real complicated. I don’t think you want to rebuild the Xorg package.

Thanks for that Dave but as I stated above, I have 2 SIS deb packages (32 Bit only) and I installed them on Ubuntu 12.04 then converted it all to Mate!. What you describe above is a bit too much for a noob to handle!.

If anyone wants the packages, PM me with your Email address and I will send them to you!. :smiley:

@mated. @Dave_Barnes

I used the Mate PPA for Ubuntu 12.04 ( http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/how-to-install-mate-18-in-ubuntu.html ) on top of that, it isn’t a Rolls Royce but runs okay with 1024 X 768 max res!. :smiley:

That’s OK. I’ll be here.

1 Like

Good to know, I am not a noob btw; I just wanted to make sure that others reading the thread can get their heads around it!. :smiley:

Here is a screenshot of the desktop although it isn't quite finished!:

1 Like

I haven’t been a noob in so long I don’t know what it’s like.

Great desktop…

What sis driver did you end up with? The sis-imedia one?

Hi Dave,

I used this one: xorg-driver-sis671_0.9_i386.deb

I also have this one: xorg-driver-sisimedia_0.9-1_i386.deb

I did have to run a small fix after installing the package by running:

sudo apt-get install -f

to satisfy dependencies!. :smiley:

I have had the packages since Ubuntu 9. :smiley:

1 Like

Not quite Ubuntu-Mate, but Scientific Linux 6.7 still runs on some fairly old hardware, and has updates until 2020 if I’m not mistaken. Pretty certain it still contains sis drivers.

2 Likes

Thanks @misterA, I’ll take a look at that, I have never used it because I can’t spell scientafiec!. :smiley:

I took a look on their forum and a lot of the messages about SIS are quite old and basically the same problems as they are with Ubuntu!. :frowning:

I have Ubuntu 12.04 and the Mate DE installed and it works fine(ish) so I will stick with that. :smiley:

PCLinuxOS Mate/LXDE and Rosa Linux work but have problems with the special function keys (FN + a key for sound, brilliance etc!).

After more research; I found this answer and now have Ubuntu Mate 14.04 installed!:

1 Like

This didn’t work for me …

Lubuntu 14.04 worked fine … 16.04 is stuck at 640x480

sis671 in an old Averatec 6200

Tried an Xorg.conf from an arch sis wiki …
seemed to get stuck at the splash screen … reverted back to the previous …

Least i know that Lubuntu 16.04 is using the xorg.conf now …

+1 Request for SIS driver support. Thanks!

Hi wolfman

I’m new with the ubuntu OS and i have installed lubuntu 17.10, but i got that problem of the resolution.
I was told that i needed a sis driver to fix this problem, the thing is i dont know where to find a decent one and how to install, i believe i need to burn a disc to install this sis driver but i dont want to burn random discs to dont achieve any sucess.

Please help me, teach me how to solve this

Hi,

did you check this out?. :smiley:

it says 14.04 and 16.10, does it work for 17.10 too?

Ok, so i tried that, it worked, i reboot and press f6 and gives me a decent resolution. I rebooted a couple more times to test and there 's the resolution i wanted, but it kinda requires me to press f6.

Just a little question.

"I tried this on Ubuntu Mate 14.04/16.04/16.10 and Lubuntu 15.10, Press any key at boot (Live CD or USB stick) then F6 and set boot option “nomodeset”; it works no problem although it might occasionally go into suspend mode during boot!. "

Can you explain me this better? I kinda got a brainfart reading this and got a little confused.
Can you explain me this in other words?

Hi Nef,

I was trying it out on an old SIS graphics laptop and on occasion; the screen would go blank on me, that is really it in a nutshell!. It does work and you may well have to play around a little to get it to work for you, it depends on your system specs I suppose?. :smiley: