Temporarily disable the alt + right-click keyboard binding?

Hi,

Using blender, the alt + right-click binding can get in the way of things. Back on XFCE I used to solve this with a bash script like this:

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/easy_click -s ""
/path/to/blender
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/easy_click -s "Alt"

That way, when i started blender, it would disable the binding and when i quit blender it would re-enable the binding. Because it's a really handy binding anywhere i can think of outside of blender.

Now being a happy mate user, i try to locate a similar solution. But i can't find any clue as to which command would do the do...

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences mouse-button-modifier ''

doesn't complain, but also has no effect. Not even after login out and in again.

At this point my web-search-fu has abandoned me, anyone here that could help me?

Thankful for any hint!

Ok... sorry for the noise... I did search the forum first but of course; not well enough. Found this right after i posted:

I still have to try it out.. But it looks like my answer...

I found it! \o/

To disable alt + right-click when using blender (or any other software where the system binding collides with existing bindings) and re-enabling it when blender quits, i use this in a bash script

gsettings set org.mate.Marco.general mouse-button-modifier ''
/path/to/blender-2.x
gsettings set org.mate.Marco.general mouse-button-modifier '<Alt>' 

Make sure it has last empty line and that it's executable and now edit the entry in the main-menu to point to that bash script instead of blender. If you added a shebang on the first line of the bash script such as: #!/usr/bin/env bash it will work in type "Application" otherwise It needs to be of type "Applicaiton in Terminal" or it wont start.

(And if you use blender bundle from blender.org, don't forget to update the path for blender in the bashscript whenever you download the latest version)

2 Likes