[Zesty] Brisk Menu & MATE Menu do not launch Kdenlive

I have installed 17.04 and I have encountered the following problem:

The default menu installed during the installation does not launch Kdenlive. The Brisk menu that I have installed also does not launch Kdenlive.

The menu called Main Menu from the Add to panel menu does launch Kdenlive. Plank also launches Kdenlive. I still have 16.04 installed on another partition and there no such problem.

So it seems that there is no problem since I have two options to launch Kdenlive but is it not a bug?

This evening Plank also stopped to launch Kdenlive. Only the “Main Menu” still launches it.

Not having this problem in 17.10.

What does MenuLibre show?

I am new to Linux and Ubuntu MATE and I never used MenuLibre or knew about this program.

So I installed MenuLibre to learn what it is but I cannot launch it. None of the two menus in 17.04 launches MenuLibre. Not the Main Menu and not the Brisk menu and not the Advance Mate menu

I booted to 16.04 and there no problem to launch MenuLibre there.

My apologies. MenuLibre is the menu editor for 17.10. The equivalent in 16.04, and I assume in 17.04, is called Main Menu. You can launch it from the Control Center, or from System > Preferences > Look and Feel > Main Menu.

Perhaps you should try creating a new user account to see if the problem exist in it. If it does not exist in the new account, then you can move the files you wish to keep from the old account to the new account, and then delete the old account if you have no more use for it.

Edit: This might be the quickest way to resolve your problem.

Thank you I will try that

Main Menu will only help in the sense that you can verify that the menu entry has the correct command. In your case kdenlive

I did a fresh installation of 17.04 . Now the default menu installed during the installation does launch Kdenlive and so does the menu called Main Menu which I added from the right click "Add to panel menu". When mouse right-clicking on the Main Menu icon there is a Edit Menus option but it does not trigger anything when I click on it.

The Advanced Menu also like in the previous installation does not launch Kdenlive

The Brisk Menu that I have installed also still does not launch Kdenlive

If you mean this Main Menu from the Control Center, then clicking on it does not trigger anything. It does not work. Is it a bug or do I have some bad luck with 17.04?

@jwegier I have requested help for you in this matter. If this is happening from a clean install, you may need to file a bug report.

Until this gets sorted out, you can launch applications on your system from

1. Mate Terminal

For example to launch kdenlive, open Mate Terminal, type in kdenlive, and depress the Enter key on your keyboard. To open Main Menu type in mozo instead.

2. You can also launch applications by using the key combination Alt+F2. Type in the name of the application you wish to run, or pick the application from the list, and click Run, or depress the Enter key on your keyboard…

3. You can also launch applications on your system by opening Caja and navigating to /usr/share/applications. From there you can double click the desktop config files of the applications you wish to run.

I will file a bug report

Thank you very much for the useful tips. steven. I really want to stick to Ubuntu Mate and not let some bugs that can be fixed to annoy me.

You should wait to file the bug report until the help I have requested arrives. I’m not sure if it would need to be filed on Ubuntu Mate, or kdenlive at this point.

OK, I will wait then, but the Main Menu button from the Control Center, that does not trigger anything when clicking on it does not seem to be related to Kdenlive

True enough. Something is definitely not right there.

Hello steven,

I have booted into 16.04 and checked again: all the menus (including the Advanced Menu) launch Kdenlive and the Main Menu (System > Preferences > Look and Feel > Main Menu) works and opens the Main Menu application

When I enter "mozo" I get the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/mozo", line 36, in
main()
File "/usr/bin/mozo", line 32, in main
app = MainWindow(datadir, version, sys.argv)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Mozo/MainWindow.py", line 56, in init
self.editor = MenuEditor()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Mozo/MenuEditor.py", line 37, in init
self.locale = locale.getdefaultlocale()[0]
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/locale.py", line 545, in getdefaultlocale
return _parse_localename(localename)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/locale.py", line 477, in _parse_localename
raise ValueError, 'unknown locale: %s' % localename
ValueError: unknown locale: en_IL

I tried for Main Menu and that did not trigger anything

Hello @jwegier
I'm responding to @steven's request to take a look at the situation, however this issue you're facing is really weird. I'm gonna see if I can reproduce but in the mean time please be aware that there was a bug at some point that prevented menu edition if menulibre was not installed. I can't instantly recall whether the fix for that landed in 17.04 or not.

Edit1: I can confirm the mozo/menulibre bug is still there

Edit2: I can reproduce the behavior described by @jwegier

Edit3: kdenlive launches fine from the terminal or from synapse

Edit4: When launched with Brisk or MATE Menu, kdenlive segfaults during the call of a function in libgdk

Aug 20 00:19:21 Edge kernel: [108528.261218] kdenlive[21509]: segfault at 114 ip 00007f9d5d7b636c sp 00007ffd7c442600 error 6 in libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.31[7f9d5d768000+b0000]

Edit5: kdenlive works fine when it's started from a panel launcher:

1 Like

Okay, good news: I can’t reproduce any of this in my 17.10 VM.

1 Like

That is good news @ouroumov. Thank you for looking into this. So is this a known issue that @jwegier is experiencing, or should he file a bug report?

I’m not sure. I say let’s wait until @Wimpy can take a look.

Sounds like a good plan.