The default theme visibility problems

The default theme is quite good, but the issue is that light green is not easy on the eye and there is no easy way to escape it completely even after tweaking the theme in the GUI. I like the default theme so essentially I had to edit the metacity-theme-1.xml file and change the color from light green to standard ubuntu orange or dark blue because it is just unusable on old low contrast monitors. For the novice user there should be some way to have a official variation to the default theme - without the light green everywhere in the menues. Is there anyone who would like to vote with me on that?!

One more thing, in help application “yelp” (mate-user-guide) I was still not able to change from light green to other color for the links, is there anyone who can tell me how I i can change it?

1 Like

I think except the Ambiant-MATE, all other themes should be delete, so ugly!!!

should be delete lol And the country you come from is What, yes?

Jokes aside, to answer the OP's question I would need to know more about what @linuxhandbok did to theme the system.

I've managed to get rid of all the green-ness of the system interface, since after all I've been using Linux for long enough I know how to change and add themes with my eyes taped shut. Then I put it back because... eh, why not? But yes, every psrt of the MATE desktop can be themed to one's liking, it's just a matter of knowing how to do it.

Not nice. People from all walks of life write here and I would guess a majority is not from a country where English is the mother tongue.

2 Likes

I guess I have a tougher skin and a sharper tongue than some others. Too use hanging with an audience that makes fun of one another as well as themselves I suppose.

I definitely not a “green person” either! I downloaded regular Ambiance and did some theme hacking, and now have Ubuntu Orange in all its glory! I will say, multiple color choices, in the way Mint has done with Mint-X, would be a nice option!

I think I confused somethings, I edited metacity-theme-1.xml to remove rounded corners.

For gtk you would need to edit both settings.ini and gtk-main.css
in /usr/share/themes/Ambiant-MATE/gtk-3.0/
and gtkrc file in /usr/share/themes/Ambiant-MATE/gtk-2.0/

basically like this:
gtk-color-scheme = "base_color:#ffffff\nbg_color:#f2f1f0\ntooltip_bg_color:#000000\nselected_bg_color:#D95D1F\ntext_color:#3C3C3C\nfg_color:#4c4c4c\ntooltip_fg_color:#ffffff\nselected_fg_color:#ffffff\nlink_color:#D95D1F\nbg_color_dark:#3c3b37\nfg_color_dark:#dfdbd2"

and

/*default color scheme */ @define-color bg_color #f2f1f0; @define-color fg_color #4c4c4c; @define-color base_color #ffffff; @define-color text_color #3C3C3C; @define-color selected_bg_color #D95D1F; @define-color selected_fg_color #ffffff; @define-color tooltip_bg_color #000000; @define-color tooltip_fg_color #ffffff;

and

gtk-color-scheme = "base_color:#ffffff\nfg_color:#4c4c4c\ntooltip_fg_color:#ffffff\nselected_bg_color:#D95D1F\nselected_fg_color:#FFFFFF\ntext_color:#3C3C3C\nbg_color:#F2F1F0\ntooltip_bg_color:#000000\nlink_color:#D95D1F"

I might have edited some other theme file that I don’t remember. Anyway after that I went to theme customization GUI and selected the same orange color for controls and objects.

So basically you replace the green with your color of choice, in my case #D95D1F is orange. Use mate-color-select program to tune your colors. You might need to open those files as superuser in order to edit though, fortunately its easy in MATE, just right click on theme folder and choose open as superuser.

I really like the default theme except for this green color choice and some minor annoyances.

1 Like