The New 16.04 Gnome software center not working

Guten Morgen Peter!. :smiley:

Funnily enough, I just switched the box on, looked down on the bottom panel and there was Software Updater" blinking away, I clicked on it and it updated no problem, I did run updates yesterday so maybe they have fixed it now?. :smiley:

1 Like

Are you talking about the Software updater for Ubuntu mate16.04?

If you are talking to me Rob then yes!, I do mean the software updater in UM16.04!. :smiley:

I tried switching to the main ubuntu server in software sources and now it is working

1 Like

Yes, as far as I know it disappears once you’ve clicked it. Is there any way to unsubscribe to Welcome updates by another click? Not that I want to unsubscribe, but I just like to have the option to unclick a previous click. :grin:

Hi @maro,

you can't unsubscribe in the normal sense as far as I am aware, what you can do is open Control Centre > Administration > Software & Updates > Other Software and untick the boxes relating to Welcome or remove them completely, I have unchecked Opera, Google Chrome and Google earth because of the annoying messages I keep getting!:

Thanks @wolfman
This is very helpful.

1 Like

I am having the same issue. Here is all I get when it starts. You also cannot type in text as it either detects multiple keystrokes or erases everything.

I have a different experience … the software center is working perfectly for me now.
Perhaps you could try accessing menu System->Administration>Sowtware Updater
and try again after updating

Hello and welcome, is your system up to date I do believe it’s a work in progress mines seems to working better after a few update but it still loading slow

1 Like

I have done software updater and receive almost daily updates. I am coming from a 15.10 upgrade and not a clean install.

This doesn’t answer your question but poses an alternative. Synaptic is my second preferred method for installing software - immediately after using the command line - using the terminal and command line is the fastest providing you know the exact application name. Here’s an example …

pfeiffep@pfeiffep-Studio-1749:~$ gcompris
The program ‘gcompris’ is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt install gcompris