Things you need Windows for?

Tried everything many many times over Alpine John. Believe me.

For those without boundless energy and/or technical skills I recommend a HP printer. I once made the mistake of buying something else, but now I am back to HP because itā€™s basically ā€œplug n playā€ under Linux.

I am sure that you have seen this but heres a link anyway Linux Photography Editing
What is out there does seem to be improving.

I have been using Windows for over 18 years and use it for everything podcast, video editing, Web design, home hosting services and more

After all those years using Windows Iā€™m a full-time Linux user and donā€™t miss windows at all

The list you describe shouldnā€™t be a problem and your dad should do just fine, question how does your dad feel about using Linux is he OK with the idea?

1 Like

I donā€™t think Linux would be a problem for my dad. I think he uses Google Chrome 90 % of his time on the computer. There can always be edge cases, but itā€™s probably rare. If Chrome works then things should be OK.

Heā€™s still on Windows 7, because I ran into problems with Ubuntu MATE 16.04 so Iā€™m not using it myself. Itā€™s not a big deal. Windows 7 is a solid OS, you just have to be selective about which updates to installā€¦:wink: Microsoft is the biggest threat to Windows 7.

Iā€™ll reassess the situation when UM 18.04 is out.

Thatā€™s impressive. Iā€™m using UM 14.04 80% of my time, PCLOS 10% and Windows 7 10%. I like Windows (Windows 7 that is :wink: ). I tried UM 17.04 beta 2, but I had loss of Ethernet connection in the live-session so I didnā€™t bother installing.

Iā€™ll go with the solution I consider most stable (no support calls). Windows 10 is evil (and not very stable). Reading this forum also makes me a little worried about Debian/Ubuntu. Having apt check for updates during boot? It can be disabled, but itā€™s still a very questionable feature (a la Windows 10). I remember Mark Shuttleworth talking about Ubuntu 9.10 booting in ten seconds on a Dell Mini 9 (think it was). He used to be proud of every Ubuntu release, now heā€™s not very visible. He lost interest in the desktop and I think quality suffered.

I have a Panasonic video camera that wonā€™t connect with UMate via USB. Can connect via wifi but takes sooooo loooong to transfer anything. No problem connecting it with USB to a windows laptop, copying the video to a USB stick which then goes into my UMate desktop.

I started with dual boot, with windows 7 and ubuntu, 6-7 years ago, and when I stop using ArcGIS, I never came back to windows, neither missed it. At the beginning, I had some problems with Office compatibility, but not anymore, I usually exchange doc, docx, with comments, and trackchanges, and no problem so far. And for impress, I just export to PDF or present in my computer, just in case.

The only thing thatā€™s been stopping me from completely switching to Linux is something that may sound trivial to some. Iā€™ve been using Eudora for my email for nearly 20 years and have yet to find anything that meets my needs better ā€“ even for Windows.

That being said, even though my desktop is still Win7, my laptop is dual-boot with UM and Win10 (just so I remember how it works when I have to fix someone elseā€™s) and spends 90% of the time in UM. The only reason for the Windows partition is if Iā€™m going to be out of the house for a while and need my email.

Any suggestions for a Eudora replacement (or if anyone has found a way to get it to work properly under WINE) would be appreciated.

1 Like

Boy, what an email client. And rest easy, Iā€™m not here to tell about what other email clients you could use on Linux. For one, Iā€™m sure you know about them. And for another, I would be lying. The matter of fact is that they donā€™t make them like they used to. And nothing before or since ever approached Eudora.

Stopped using it exactly because of my switch to Linux, which also coincided with the end of its development around the end of 2011. I was never happy with the direction Mozilla took with the project and especially I will never forget that message on Mozilla website advising users to switch to Thunderbird and how angry it made me. And I wasnā€™t even using Eudora anymore! Clearly Mozilla never understood Eudora user base.

Anyway, just to:

1. Compliment you on your good taste and let you know that Eudora along with Microplanet Gravity and Norton Commander are my most cherished programs of all time.

2. Promise you I will check Eudora out on WINE. And see if we can work something out. What version do you use?

3. On Linux I use Claws Mail for all my mail. Itā€™s not Eudora. But its as traditional an email client as they come. And I quite like it. Wouldnā€™t trade it for anything these daysā€¦ except maybe the chance to have another peek at Eudora.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words. Nice to see that Iā€™m not the only one who remembers the good olā€™ days. I had forgotten about Gravity, though. Youā€™re right ā€“ a wonderful program that brings back fond memories.

I, too, remember the suggestions to switch to Thunderbird. Youā€™re right ā€“ Mozilla didnā€™t have a clue, especially the so-called ā€œEudora Open Source Edition.ā€ Not. Even. Close.

Iā€™m using Eudora 7.1.0.9 (the final release). The funny thing is that back in the 10.04 days, it worked perfectly on WINE, but something was broken in about WINE 1.3 or 1.4 or so. Thereā€™ve been numerous bug reports filed, but there doesnā€™t seem to be much interest in addressing them. I guess I donā€™t blame them, though. Eudoraā€™s pretty old.

The really frustrating thing is that it almost works. The main problem is in the html rendering. It will no longer use the MS renderer and itā€™s built-in one, frankly, sucked when it was new (as Iā€™m sure you remember). These days, itā€™s pretty much useless. It also doesnā€™t want to call the default system browser when clicking a link, instead looking for a Windows browser, but thereā€™s a workaround for that. Everything else works flawlessly.

I took another look at Claws Mail. Looks usable and I canā€™t remember why I rejected it before. Maybe Iā€™ll play with it again ā€“ canā€™t hurt.

Thanks again for your offer of help. Maybe between us we can get it to work and both return to a superior client ā€“ and maybe even introduce a whole new generation of users. Wouldnā€™t that kick Qualcomm in the butt (grin)?