Thoughts on Firefox 89 (with respect to Ubuntu MATE)?

[laughs in Australis]

1 Like

G'day, Ever since upgrading Firefox to ver 89, when restoring FF from either full screen or maximised modes to windowed mode, FF does not remember the window size and position correctly - if the window is sized to butt up against any edge (top, bottom, left or right of screen) when the window is restored an empty margin of about 20 pixels appears around the FF window and the edge of the screen.

The window borders CAN be dragged to the edge of the screen, but they won't stay there after a fullscreen/maximised restoration.

Is this a bug in the new Firefox or does it have something to do with the transparent window borders on UM?

Ubuntu Mate 20.04.2, Firefox 89.0.2

Thank you

@walter99 I had a similar issue with 21.04 and FF 89. I opened FF in workspace 2 and it persists in remembering the window size but still doesn't in workspace 1. Perhaps something to try?

FF in workspace two is still doing the same thing. Thanks for the input anyway.

Edit: I have tried different themes and window border options, no change.

1 Like

So so glad now that I never bothered tweaking any of it and just went with defaults.

netinstall.iso FTW

Replying to my own comment:
The problem I have described is coincident with client side decorations being enabled, I discovered that Celluloid does the same 'move window away from screen edges on window restore' thing when CSD is enabled - and doesn't when this option is turned off.

To fix Firefox, the title bar needs to be enabled (customize toolbar option).

This is a good resource for keeping some of the pre-Proton look in Firefox.

2 Likes