Tilda appears after 16.04 installation

After installing Ubuntu MATE 16.04 and running the usual updates my screen looked like this. I am not sure if this was prompted by any specific software installations.

1. The Terminal window in the upper left corner only disappeared after another reboot. Is this normal and do others also have these experiences? It only appeared once but it is confusing for anyone installing Ubuntu MATE for the first time.

2. What is Tilda 1 Config? I haven't seen this in the Control Center and wonder what program it refers to and where I can find it.

That terminal looks like Tilda, which autostarts but hides in the background. It can be toggled with F12.

I uninstalled that so I have no other experience with it. As far as I know, Tilda is being dropped from 16.10.

Thanks for the tip! I pressed Fn + F12 to toggle it. It doesn’t bother me now but it is always good to have unnecessary stuff uninstalled. How would I safely remove it from the system? In case it is not removed in 16.10 onwards, could it be included in the Software Boutique for easy removal?

Correction: It’s not enabled by default in 16.10, but will still remain installed:

Tilda is no longer enabled by default. Tilda is still installed by default, but can now be optionally enabled via MATE Tweak.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mate-yakkety-alpha1/

You can remove it simply by doing this:

sudo apt remove tilda

(It might remove the metapackage ubuntu-mate-desktop but this is OK. There are improvements in 16.10 so that default programs can be removed without taking out this metapackage)

As for the Software Boutique, I know the default applications are being added for easy removal. I’ll add Tilda to the list for consideration.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s great news! I like this modular approach to software installation and deinstallation.