Trying to find a supported USB dual band Wi-Fi Adapter?

Hi. I’m looking to replace my ageing USB Wi-Fi Adapter (Netgear WN111v2) that has served me well and always worked out of the box.

I’m on the hunt for a new Wi-Fi adapter that’s affordable (ideally < £20), dual band (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz) and will run on Ubuntu/Linux “out of the box” without worrying about drivers (in other words, preferable to have ‘free’ or ‘open’ firmware and integrated into the kernel)

I’ve had a deep search already, but I could be looking in the wrong places… :confounded:

Is there such device out there? Or any brands/chipsets to avoid?

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Hi,

take a look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

All in the list(s) should work out of the box!. :smiley:

Thanks for the pointer @wolfman, it turns out WDNA3100 would have worked out of the box should it have been v1 (Atheros) the one I’ve got is v3 - (Ralink?) is going to be more involved :frowning:

Well, the Netgear N400 (WNDA3100v3) I recently got definitely isn’t one that works at this time - it has a Ralink chipset inside - maybe that’ll work a few years time. Time to return it back to the shop and find another. :arrow_right::house:

@lah7,

this might be of interest to you to get one a bit cheaper maybe? (I just typed “wireless adapters for linux” in Google and this was one of the links!):

Hope it helps you further!. :smiley: