Ubuntu drops 32-bit ISO

I just wanted to take a few minutes to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts with the community. I think most of us feel the same way about the 32-bit distro and lets just hope they will keep it around with that said, technology keeps changing and we must adapt also

1 Like

Thanks Robert.

I hate to see all the young, coming up, possible, programmers be locked out due to an attitude that 32 must die so 64 can flourish.

Tasking a newcomer with all the command line and headache of having a system at a unreasonable price is not encouragement, it is discouragement.

The price to program in the MS world is exhoratent; in the Linux world it is very, very reasonable. Ubuntu will need some of those fresh, out of the box, brains in the very near future. Don’t shut them out.

Without them, Apple would have never existed. IMO, Apple and Visi-Calc brought the PC to the home, through the backdoor of the business market. Witness all the talent we have seen flourish.

1 Like

I have to agree with on that MS is very costly I’ve been using computers about 17 years now and I’m gradually moving away from Windows, I have about 5 machines setup up and all of them are running Linux, only one is a dual boot and I hardly boot it into Windows. May open source live for ever :slight_smile:

1 Like

13 posts were split to a new topic: Ubuntu may drop i386 (+ 32-bit support)

3 years later from this discussion, Ubuntu announced they will begin to phase out i386 support, starting from 19.10.

Dropping i386 (which may include the ability to run 32-bit applications) is slightly different to discontinuing the 32-bit ISO, and has a much more significant impact to the ecosystem. The conversation continues here if you're interested: