Ubuntu MATE 14.04.3 LTS

Hi guys,
I want to know if you are working on an iso image for Ubuntu MATE 14.04.3 LTS.
An estimate progress or launch date would also be nice. This way I would know if I should wait for the new iso.
Thanks!

14.04.3 is already here. You can go ahead a load it up :slight_smile:

I just see 14.04.2 on the download page

Am I doing something wrong?

I’m not planning on making a 14.04.3 because the 14.04.2 image will cleanly upgrade to 14.04.3 :slight_smile:

Ok @Wimpy.
Thanks for the clarification!

Have already upgraded to 14.04.3 was curious should i stay with the 3.16 kernel or go with 3.19

The reason why I needed 14.04.3 was the upgraded kernel and X-org stack. On 14.04.2 some Steam games, for instance, Left 4 Dead 2, did not work. The game exits with an error about my Intel GPU not being good enough or my drivers being outdated. These games work in 15.04, however, I prefer LTS releases. So I was very curious if 14.04.3 would solve the issue.

I did a fresh install of 14.04.2. I opened a terminal and wrote:

sudo apt update  && sudo apt upgrade 

This command, however, does not update the kernel and X-org stack. In order to get these updates I also entered:

sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-core-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-vivid libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-vivid 

sudo apt install linux-signed-generic-lts-vivid 

More details here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes#LTS_Hardware_Enablement_Stack

I had no issues with the upgrade.
All the games work now.

So, from my experience, there is no down side to upgrading to kernel 3.19.

Followed https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes#LTS_Hardware_Enablement_Stack and after a couple tries and using -f got 3.19 installed nvidia and virtualbox working no issues.Maybe it’s just me but 3.19 seems to make system abit snappier on this 10 year old computer.I’m also running 15.04 on another computer and have been using 15.10 on a computer since alpha 1 with no issues.I’m very impressed with ubuntu Mate. Thanks to all

Hi, sorry if this thread is old for me to reply but how to I upgrade 14.04.2 to 14.04.3? Everyone seems to know this but me.

Is it just sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade like mspadaru did? Should that work cleanly on a new 14.04.2 install? I want to be sure before I download the 14.04.2 image

If a 14.04.3 download isn’t provided because of this possibility, I think it wouldn’t hurt to point that out on the downloads page and show the upgrade command

Thank you

I would suspect that this would do it.

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

There has been much confusion over this.

Mate 14.04 was not an official Ubuntu release. Mate did not join the official Ubuntu family till a later version release. If you look at the download for mate14.04, its 14.04.2. You can upgrade Ubuntu 14.04 to the point #3 release (its supported for 5 years), but not Mate. As I understand it, Mate 14.04 will not be updated.

Mate 16.04 is official Ubuntu, however…

Support is for 3 years and not 5 like Ubuntu. The dev’s have told us that 5 year support is just too much to handle with current staffing.

Make sense? Like I said, a cloudy subject :slight_smile:

Are you saying I will not get 14.04.3 if I run sudo apt upgrade / sudo apt dist-upgrade on a new 14.04.2 install? is the “point #3” update (which I assume means the one ending with .3) only available to official Ubuntu mate releases?

I am saying that if you do a dist-upgrade to 14.04.2; it will upgrade to ubuntu 14.04.5. But the mate desktop will not receive any point release upgrades. It is out of its support period. That is the way I understand it.

If you check your upgrade history in the future you could see if you get any future mate upgrades. I think not.

An easy way to see your history is with synaptic-package-manager.

sudo apt-get install synaptic

So if I upgrade from 14.04.2 I will not get 14.04.3 but 14.04.5, but it will be only a partial upgrade, correct? is this the reason that Nothing newer than 14.04.2 in the 14 series is mentioned in the download pages?

So if I upgrade from 14.04.2 I will not get 14.04.3 but 14.04.5

Correct

but it will be only a partial upgrade.

No, its everything offered.
Mate and Ubuntu use the same repositories, you will receive a complete Ubuntu upgrade. Mate has no more point release upgrades to offer.

is this the reason that Nothing newer than 14.04.2

Yes, the last release.

For all future Mate LTS releases. The support period is 3 years for Mate, but since Mate is built on Ubuntu, support for Ubuntu packages will go on for 5 years.