Ubuntu MATE 15.10 RPI2 1st boot config over ssh

Hello! Now that openssh-server with first boot host key generation was added I was excited to be able to configure over SSH. However when I try to ssh into the RPI2 it gives me ssh: connect to host 169.254.110.156 port 22: Connection refused.

Is SSH actually enabled and is it possible to configure ubuntu-mate 15.10 on first boot over ssh? If so how? I’ve searched everywhere.

Thanks!

Not 100% certain - but I believe you’ll need to physically use the Pi for the first boot – as the graphical installer (ubiquity) awaits to complete the initial process (language, keyboard, user account, then probably the SSH key generations). I presume at this stage, SSH is not configured and even if it was running, there is no account to connect as (root is disabled by default).

So based on that, I don’t think it’s possible to configure Ubuntu MATE over SSH, not until the ubiquity first boot set up process is complete.

Thanks for the reply! I’m guessing then there is no way to do a headless install/setup without a usb keyboard and mouse. :confounded:

For Ubuntu MATE the first boot meeds to be completed with screen and keyboard attached. But I’m going to make some Ubuntu Server images available that have a predefined user account and are suitable for headless use.

Thanks! I think a good amount of users have a need for Ubuntu-mate rp2 with a headless install.

Is there any way to download headless images you mentioned, please?

What about creating a “response file” to be placed under the “/boot” directory, that the UbuntuMATE installer will use during an automted installation?

The “response file” can be created after flashing the SD card using a normal text editor. If the response file exists, an automated and silent installation will be performed, otherwise the user needs to hookup keyboard and mouse and connects its device to a monitor to perform an interactive installation and supply the required parameters for the OS setup.

1 Like

That would be a good idea, probably @Wimpy could think about that…

Hi Carriba,

I got with the same problem as mentioned here. I don’t have HDMI monitor now.

The only way for me is to connect via ssh but that also blocked now may be because of this headless start issue.

I really don’t know how the response file will look alike. If you have any sample response file, please post it here.

Can you please help me in creating response file under /boot?

Thanks,
Santhosh,

I don’t have a “response file” myself for a headless setup of UbuntuMATE. This is what I have suggested in this forum to have in place for future releases of UbuntuMATE.

Maybe the developpers, or better, makers take this kind of enhancement request into account :wink:

Is a headless version available yet? I was thinking of trying it on a headless Raspberry Pi 3, but the Pi release still seems to still require a keyboard and monitor, which makes it unsuitable for use with a Pi.

Any update concerning @Wimpy headless raspberry image ?

Server images are here: