Ubuntu Mate 15.10 seems to ignore config.txt

I am running Ubuntu Mate 15.10 and would like to change the amount of RAM alloted to the GPU (for smoother video playback) however whenever I try to do this in config.txt it seems to ignore my changes. I also had an issue with underscanning on a different monitor (problem was so annoying I swapped monitors) and whenever I tried editing config.txt it seemed to ignore my changes as well. I would appreciate some help, thanks in advance!

Can you share the relevant contents of "/boot/config.txt" where you have specified how the RAM is being allocated to GPU and CPU and compare against the run-time RAM allocation upon boot-up completion?

To obtain the run-time RAM allocation, simply execute the following commands on the shell prompt with UID "root":

for id in arm gpu ; do
echo -e "$id:\t$(vcgencmd get_mem $id)" ;
done

Note: The vcgencmd command is located under the /opt/vc/bin directory in the case this command is not found in your executables search path.

Memory Settings

################################################################################

disable_l2cache

Disable arm access to GPU’s L2 cache. Needs corresponding L2 disabled

kernel.

Value Description

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Enable L2 Cache (Default)

1 Disable L2 cache

#disable_l2cache=0

gpu_mem

GPU memory allocation in MB for all board revisions.

Default 64

#gpu_mem=320

gpu_mem_256

GPU memory allocation in MB for 256MB board revision.

This option overrides gpu_mem.

#gpu_mem_256=128

gpu_mem_512

GPU memory allocation in MB for 512MB board revision.

This option overrides gpu_mem.

This is the section I edited, and when I ran the command you suggested, it reported only 64MB of ram allocated to the GPU which I feel is too low.

It does ignore the config.txt, i can’t disable overscan and i am not stupid :smiley: