Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Beta 1 - pulseaudio + bluez bug

When attempting to connect a headset in either headset mode or A2DP mode, I often see this
error and have no audio to the headset.

[pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: Transport Acquire() failed for transport /org/bluez/hci0/dev_{my device HW address}/fd13 (Operation Not Authorized)

If it were a permanent bug then I would expect bluez to pulseaudio would never work. It works about
30% of the time.

This connection worked flawlessly with Ubuntu 12.04 but has been a problem with Ubuntu MATE 15.04 and later, becoming almost unusable with 16.04.

I’d like to end the fingerpointing and for either the pulseaudio or bluez groups to take ownership of the
various bugs reports already posted everywhere and get this problem fixed. “it’s not PulseAudio’s job to connect the (bluez) profiles …” One or the other should be responsible for initiating the connection.
"… something is connecting the hsp profile, so I wonder why a2dp doesn’t get connected at the same time… " Is there something in MATE that is causing the trouble like there is/was in Gnome?
Is there something else that is making the connections besides pulseaudio or bluez?

Above comments taken from freedesktop.org bug report:
Bug 92102 - cannot select a2dp profile