Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Beta 2 for Raspberry Pi 2 and Raspberry Pi 3

Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Beta 2 for the Raspberry Pi 2 and Raspberry Pi 3 is available for download!

Many thanks to The Pi Podcast presenters Joe Ressington, Winkle ink and Isaac Carter for testing some early images and providing valuable feedback. Thanks to them this beta is in pretty decent shape.

Here's the changes:

• Updated to Ubuntu MATE 16.04 including the new Welcome which comes with Raspberry Pi specific features.
  • Updated BlueZ 5.37 with patches to support the Raspberry Pi 3 integrated Bluetooth.
  • Ubuntu MATE 16.04 now supports the on-board Raspberry Pi 3 Bluetooth and Wifi.
  • Updated to Linux 4.1.19.
  • Updated to raspberrypi-firmware 1.20160315-1.
  • Updated to omx-player 0.3.7~git20160206~cb91001.
  • Updated to wiringpi 2.32.
  • Updated to nuscratch 20160115.
  • Updated to sonic-pi 2.9.0.
  • Migrated configuration tweaks to raspberrypi-general-mods and raspberrypi-sys-mods.
  • Experimental hardware accelerated OpenGL can be enabled, if you know how ;-)
3 Likes

How ? :slight_smile:

Hi Wimpy, quick report.
I am french and french keyboard configuration don’t work on setup wizard. No language or keyboard layout are avaiable.
It is all blank but next button works so I installed it with english keymap I change layout after setup wizard.
In the welcome panel in raspberry pi section you put a link on pepperflash to :
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/rpi2-tutorial-ubuntu-mate-15-10-install-flash-player-quick-version/2739
But the link is not good (page not found).
I did a better tutorial for pepperflash too, this one was the first version the newer (and best one) is :

I think you should change the link :slight_smile:

I just install it I will made more reports if I found something more :wink:

Aworan

Two simple questions:
Can I install (upgrade) 16.04 on top of 15.10?
And if so how?

I updated the repository links and installed chromium in welcome. It does not load you see the option in apps then it goes away then says it wants to send a error report back. I then removed the app via welcome then did the terminal way same issue. I am using 16.04 beta 2 on raspberry pi 2. How can I get chromium to install right is this a beta bug? By the way my file system is expanded.

No, Ubuntu mate raspberry pi version cannot be update to next release. You must do a fresh install.

Aworan

It is an issue with chromium version 49, it is the same on Ubuntu mate 15.10.
There is a bug report on launchpad about it, it don’t work until canonical fix it.

Just downloaded & installed 16.04 - works well!
However I’ve noticed that if you do:
Applications
Office
LibreOffice

LO Base is missing from the list
and when the application opens
Base Database is there but
there’s no response when you double click on the icon.

It seems that LO is only partially implemented. Is this true?

Apologies, just found LO Base in the software Boutique.
Installed it runs fine.

1 Like

I did more experiments and seems to work very well on my new pi 3 !
I saw ffmpeg have mmal video decoding with the last update and vlc have openmax video decoding too !!! That a great job !
I saw mpv have RPI video output and mmal decoding ! That is really great too and impressive !
By the way glxgears is really faster than in 15.10, I didn’t understand why ? Just because of mesa update ?
When I try glxinfo it says direct rendering but I think driver is not enabled …

1 Like

@aworan All the video acceleration work is thanks to your posts here :slight_smile: Have a listen to what I said last night on Linux Unplugged.

Great :slight_smile:
I am happy that my posts are useful for the community !
I saw the video my English is not to good but I understand it well and apreciate you try to say my nickname :stuck_out_tongue:
Do you manage kodi to work with openmax ? :wink:

1 Like

I’m making good progress with Kodi :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.