Ubuntu MATE 16.04 install black screen

good morning
i have an old laptop, top of the line quite a few years ago. (amd athion xp-h) this computer boots ubuntu 10.04 fine and i wonted to duel boot it with U.M. when booting the live media i get the mate window with dots but then the screen goes black, the back light is on but black screen. i have pushed different buttons but only toggles the screen from terminal to mate with the dots. i can see everything loading then black screen. is there a way to set nomodeset at start up from a live boot?

Yes there are a few ways to set nomodeset and a few other options.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

thanks v3xx
i have tried f2, f6, arrow down key. the only thing that happens is it toggles between ubuntu mate screen with the four dots and where it is loading things, it looks to me like the key commands may have been discontinued, maybe ?
ok i booted an desktop computer with U.M.16.04 media and it does the same thing.
another interesting thing is with the laptop ubuntu mate with the dots, it is spelled out, with the desktop it is the symbol with the 4 dots. why ?
at this point i’m thinking i’m going to have to modify the dvd image maybe ?

Sorry, I have edited this post. I am pressed for time and gave a bad reply. I will return, but got to go for now.

again, sorry

v3xx i do not have inxi loaded and at this point only have ubuntu 10.04 on this laptop, and of cores the repos. have been taken down, i tried to load hardinfo but…

klein@6200-laptop:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 741/741GX/M741 Host (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 25)
00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC’97 Modem Controller (rev a0)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC’97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
00:0e.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter

this is the output from lspci

Ok, made it back :slight_smile:

SiS

Got zero experience with this, I don’t know how well supported it is. Someone else needs to chime in on this. I did find 14.04 support.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2215422

Is this just one computer you have tried the iso on? Or do you have two?

smiling v3xx i have a few computers lol
i have installed U.M. 16.04 on :
dell d620 intel 32 bit
dell 1521 amd 64 bit
hp a1210n amd 32 bit
amd athlon 64 x2

SiS = i’m pretty sure this is the culprit i did find a driver but it would have to be installed on the live cd then
ubuntu would have to be told to use it.

so yes i’m sure the image is good.
i’m updating the fleet from ubuntu 10.04 to U.M. 16.04

what really got me is it doesn’t seem to be a way to edit the boot no f2 f6 keys work. now i am using a usb key, grub2 on the usb key . i think it is just a driver issue

i installed xubuntu 14.04 on this laptop and it looks good no problems, the out put of
lshw -c video
is
configuration: latency=0
i’m not sure what driver latency=0 is
i did find the driver https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SiS

Nothing wrong with xubuntu, if that’s the route you want to go. In April you can direct upgrade to x16.04 when the official release comes out.

See also:

1 Like

hi wolfman
the thing is i can’t get it installed. booting my usb key it shows me the ubuntu mate … screen perfect then black, the screen that lets you chose to try or install ubuntu mate black. you can tell the back light is on there isn’t an image.