Ubuntu Mate 16.04 With Windows XP

Hi there everyone,

Thanks by the way for anyone stopping by and letting me know about their experience with this installation.

I have tried Installing Ubuntu mate 16.04 alpha alonside of an Windows XP installation on an old Netbook that i have.

Problem is that it looks like Grub or something like that isn’s working with WIndows Xp anymore …

Anyone can confirm that information ?

Thank you very much everyone & Have a nice day !

Can you log into your Ubuntu partition? If you can, have you tried updating Grub by typing the following command in a terminal?

sudo update-grub

If you have and it has not picked up your windows partition, then log in as a live user and download and run Ubuntu Boot Repair and see if that fixes it. Once logged in as a live user with your UM ISO (with a working internet connection), you can get Ubuntu Boot repair by typing the following in a terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

If that does not fix it, come back on here and let us know. Someone more knowledgeable than me is sure to be able to help.

2 Likes

^+1

Perhaps even before following stevecook172001 directions, you may open gparted and check to see if XP’s NTFS partition is still intact and wasn’t borked or written over during the installation process.

2 Likes