Ubuntu Mate 17.10 No Wired internet after Suspend

I recently got a different modem and these past two days my internet’s not working after I suspend but it does turn back on after I restart computer.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: enp3s0
version: 16
serial: 00:22:68:68:c9:89
size: 1Gbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.30 duplex=full latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
resources: irq:24 memory:fe9fc000-fe9fffff ioport:d800(size=256) memory:fe9c0000-fe9dffff
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
product: RTL-8185 IEEE 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 5
bus info: pci@0000:05:05.0
logical name: wlp5s5
version: 20
serial: 00:06:4f:81:03:bb
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl818x_pci driverversion=4.15.1-041501-generic firmware=N/A latency=64 link=no maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:20 ioport:e800(size=256) memory:febffc00-febffdff

I’m now using an Arris TM822r. Kind of a linux newb so forgive me for dumb questions. If you need me to do something else for more info please let me know.

Also I’m plugged into the wifi through the main modem and the wifi into the tower, but when I look at the connection it shows wired connection 1. I’m not actually logged in through the wifi in the computer but I do use the wifi on my tablet. I don’t know if any of that is causing some problem idk. The Wired connection 1 gets greyed out after waking up from sleep and then there is no internet until I restart my computer.

Edit- BTW the internet works if I put in the wifi code after sleep without restarting and will go straight to the internet after sleeping if I put in my wifi code. I’m just wondering is it better to have it go in through ethernet for the main tower or keep it going through the wifi?

Can someone please help me with this?

I can try, but I’m not quite sure of your setup. From what I have read on your post, it sounds like your PC has both Ethernet and WiFi, but your currently connecting through a Arris TM822r cable modem. Is this correct?

Is the Arris TM822r connected directly to your PC through it’s Ethernet port?

Or is the Arris TM822r connected a wireless router and your PC is connecting to the wireless router through it’s WiFi card?

Also, next time you wake up your PC from being suspended, open a terminal and run the following command:

sudo service network-manager restart

This should restart your network with out having to reboot. Not a permanent fix but it should get you by until you find a solution.

1 Like

I have the arris plugged into the back of the wifi and the wifi plugged into the back of tower but I’ve also tried just plugging the modem directly into the tower and it still disconnects after suspend.
I’ve tried the sudo service network-manager restart and it doesn’t do anything the ethernetnetwork is still greyed out and it says disconnected.

Perhaps you should disconnect the wireless router from the back of your tower and try connecting to the wireless router with your PC’s WiFi card.

I don’t think my pc has a wifi card. I have a cisco linksys wifi router that my modem plugs into.

So this is the cisco linksys wifi router then?

Yup. The other one with the sky2driver is my arris modem and that one is the wifi.

OK I understand your setup now. Problems with things not working correctly after being suspended are not all that uncommon. Currently with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 LTS the nm-applet changes form WiFi to Ethernet on my system after suspending it, but my WiFi connection still works.

You might try to restart your network with the following commands:

ifconfig enp3s0 down

ifconfig enp3s0 up

Also I found a couple of links that might help.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/fix-wireless-or-wired-network-not.html

https://askubuntu.com/questions/872389/my-wired-internet-connection-gets-disconnected-ubuntu

Yeah, none of that helps. I’ve read both of those articles one is some driver that I don’t want to mess with because my modem isn’t the same as that guys and the other I tried but it didn’t change anything.

I’m sorry we have not resolved your problem Kinasin. Perhaps someone with better troubleshooting skills than mine will help out. Until then, you might consider only allowing your monitory to sleep, and not allowing your PC to suspend.

Yeah, just sucks because it worked fine and now all this is happening.

Hallo Kinasin

I learnt many years ago to never “suspend” an operating system (no matter which). Either its running or its shut down. This avoids many problems.

When I re-started using GNU/Linux about 4+ years ago, I worked my way into some bad corners. But I backed up everything using DejaDup and would simply re-install everything from scratch. I did that more times than I care to remember. Is a re-install an option for you? It might not be elegant, but if it works… :penguin:

Nope. I mean I could reinstall another system but for me I’ve always used sleep or suspend it’s pretty much a must have feature for me. Doing a Hard Shutdown everytime I want to leave or do something sounds awful. Why does linux have problems with suspend?

Hallo Kinasin

I meant re-installing Ubuntu-Mate of course. :slight_smile:

My suspend-horrors all occurred using the Redmond OS (different versions). I became pragmatic. I’m perhaps fortunate that “suspend” is a feature that I do not need.

I also avoid using wifi connections whenever possible. I much prefer my Ethernet out of a cable. But that’s just me.

I don’t have the knowledge to help you “fix” your problem, only these suggestions which work for me, but may not be an option for you. Good luck with it anyway. :slight_smile:

Well I usually don’t have the wifi hooked up but had to bust it out for this amazon fire I got but thank you.