Ubuntu mate 18.04 marco and DRI3

Thank you for the explanation, that is too bad actually i had really looked forward to get rid of the screen tearing in Mate :slight_smile: But i will try to add a 20-intel.conf in Xorg.conf.d and use the intel driver instead of the xorg modesetting driver that is default and see if that makes DRI3 enabled by that driver and Xpresent will be happy.

Hey,
have you tried using Compiz or Compton via Mate Tweak? Do you really have an intel cpu/gpu or rather an intel cpu and nvidia gpu (Optimus) configuration?

@motivation hi i have tried compton, but i don’t like the shadow effects in virtualbox(makes the display darker but only when using virtualbox) that is has when it’s enabled. I have a intel i5 cpu and intel hd 5500 gpu so no nvidia/optimus configuration on this machine.

This is from the arch wiki, does it help?

Alternatively, to disable all shadowing effects during a session, the -C and -G arguments must be added:

$ compton -CG

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compton

Or you could try to install compton-conf and disable it from there.

1 Like

afaik the xorg modesetting driver uses dri3 by default, so it seems odd that this wouldn’t just work. What generation of intel graphics do you have?

Afaik only nvidia (with the proprietary driver) should have issues with dri3, with intel it should just work.

@bwat47 My generation is Broadwell (HD5500)

~$ marco --replace &
[1] 23296
Window manager warning: Log level 128: Name com.canonical.AppMenu.Registrar does not exist on the session bus

Window manager warning: Log level 16: XPresent is not compatible with your current system configuration.

~$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF104GLM [Quadro 3000M]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: [email protected]
           OpenGL: renderer: NVC4 version: 4.3 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5

I have read in the ubuntu forum that modesetting should be used instead. I haven’t got around to it yet.

What’s the output of:

LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo | grep libgl

and

inxi -G

Also, do you have the libxpresent1 package installed?

@bwat47
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo | grep libgl says libGL: Using DRI3 for screen 0

and inxi -G:
Graphics: Card: Intel HD Graphics 5500
drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.0-rc4

and libxpresent1/bionic,now 1.0.0-2 amd64 [installed]

So i don’t know why i get Window manager warning: Log level 16: XPresent is not compatible with your current system configuration.

@crash I’m not presently running ubuntu mate on my machine (dell xps 13, intel kaby lake graphics), but I made an ubuntu mate 18.04 live usb (from the latest daily image) and booted it up and I see the same problem as you; there’s tearing and marco says xpresent is not compatible.

I’m currently running solus with mate 1.20 and marco/dri3/xpresent works perfectly there on the same machine, so it seems like there might be some ubuntu/ubuntu mate specific bug here.

Since you are using the Modesetting driver/dri3 and have libxpresent installed I don’t see any issues with the configuration on your end, and I can confirm your issue with a live environment

@bwat47 Thank you for taking time and try the ubuntu 18.04 live usb, and you are having the same problem with tearing on your end, so there is not something wrong with my setup that is good :slight_smile:

But now i wonder what Solus does instead of what ubuntu mate, beacuse you are saying it is working good over there.

@Wimpy: ^^
Do you have any insight on driver differences between Ubuntu and Solus that could cause this? I can confirm the same issue on my end.

I’ll try to update my old lemu4 (where I developed the Xpresent integration) to 18.04 this week and see if it’s a release-specific issue, or a hardware-specific issue.

If it helps, here are the details from my solus install:

Marco 1.20
libxpresent 1.0.0-2

Graphics information:

Card: Intel HD Graphics 620
drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2)
version: 4.5 Mesa 17.3.6

Seems the same as the ubuntu mate driver versions (with the exception of mesa, which I think would not matter as I don’t believe marco is using opengl)

I’ll get my XPS 13 9360 updated and report back.

2 Likes

Are there any news on that? Because today on my laptop I installed UM 18.04 Beta myself; I get tearing and the “Xpresent is not compitable with your configuration.” message as well.

@Wimpy @vkareh

Any news on this? I installed ubuntu mate 18.04 on my xps 13 9360 and installed all updates and there’s still tearing with the marco compositing (and the message about xpresent not being supported) :frowning:

Is there any way to get this to work in ubuntu mate? Everything I’ve read indicates this should definitely work with the intel modesetting driver (and it did work for me on solus without issue on the same hardware)

@bwat47 - I’ve been digging through this a bit, and I think Ubuntu is shipping an outdated version of the Present library, which has issues identifying windows in a 64 bit environment. I would need to recompile Xorg to confirm, though, and I haven’t really had the chance. Work has been quite busy these days, so I only have a tiny amount of time left for this, unfortunately :frowning:

@bwat47 - okay, just checked and Ubuntu ships the correct version, so that’s definitely not the problem…

When we created this feature, it consistently worked on 32-bit versions of Ubuntu, but only worked on 64-bit when using the nouveau drivers (in case of machines with nvidia).

I know that @Wimpy managed to get it to work in Ubuntu with the intel drivers when enabling DRI3 manually, but I’ve had no such luck. I don’t know whether he used 64-bit or 32-bit. Also I’m using bumblebee and bbswitch to fumble around with my graphics card drivers, so I wonder if that affects my testing…

I did some tests here as well and while I seem to have gotten tear free working, the results are a bit puzzling.

First, I verified that the modesetting driver is active and that I’m using dri3 - still getting tearing and marco complains about xpresent support.

then, I created a 20-intel.conf file in xorg.conf.d explicitly setting the modesetting driver and dri3 for good measure and rebooted, no change.

I also tried uninstalling the intel ddx driver and rebooting, no change.

Then, I re-installed the intel ddx driver and adjusted my 20-intel.conf file to enable the intel driver instead of modesetting and rebooted again.

Now, I seem to be getting tear free rendering (tested dragging windows around and scrolling in firefox, I’m not observing any tears), however if I do marco --replace in the terminal it still complains about xpresent support…

Note: I did NOT enable the tearfree option in my 20-intel.conf file

1 Like

This seems to be a Debian bug with the package libxpresent. This is affecting XFCE users as well. I sent an e-mail to the debian package maintainer, can someone correctly submit a bug report for this?

– start of the e-mail –

Hello Julien,

I saw in the Debian package list that you are the maintainer of the package libxpresent1.
I would like to ask you if you are aware of this: https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2017-June/053874.html
I’m using Ubuntu with XFCE and I think there is a bug with the libxpresent1 package affecting users of XFCE and probably Mate trying to make use of XPresent now that these DE’s window manager supports DRI.

As you can see here: https://www.bountysource.com/issues/47151407-screen-tearing-xfwm-4-13
The problem seems to be related to libxpresent not being build against presentproto 1.1

Can you please investigate this? I thinks this is affecting Debian users as well who are trying to use XFWM 4.13 or Mate 1.20 to solve their Screen Tearing problems.

Thank you.

Kolmar Kafran

1 Like