Ubuntu MATE 18.04 - Progress so far

@Isaiah_Sellassie you mean a tool to import/export your user config files (home directory)?

@orschiro - Yes, sir, you got it.

Ubuntu Mate keeps getting better! I have used Ubuntu with its various desktops to run servers for years (since the 6.06 days!). Mate works very well on all my hardware. I plan to test it on an ancient 32-bit Pentium4 system with 512 MB just to see how well it will do for a shut-in. LXDE is the smallest desktop in terms of resources, but it is not as well polished as Mate. I also like the fact that you can change its look and feel to mimic several of the commercial OSs that are available. Keep up the great work! I may try to the pre-alpha on a VM just for fun.

2 Likes

Hi, I test 18.04 in vm. There are many, many things that work great and quick and there are things that not.
So I have 2 questions:

Will firefox and thundebird have support for global menu and hud in 18.04 ?
Will be there theme support for qt5 apps like calibre to looks more gtk style?

Only 2 and itā€™s alpha stage. UbuntuTeam really GREAT WORK !!

Looks like AppMenu support (the thing that makes Global menus work) is being dropped from Firefox and Thunderbird, so donā€™t expect global menu to work with them in 18.04.

1 Like

does that means the menu string wonā€™t be shown in firefox even when press ā€˜altā€™?

Hey, love the window buttons applet!

Any chance itā€™ll be defaulted on the Contemporary layout?

Currently using Korora linux because the whole 17.10 family is a little on the unpolished side, but thisā€™ll probably convince me to come back.

Also, Iā€™d like to know if I can install the Ubuntu MATE HUD elsewhere, like on Linux Mint MATE. It really is the best Unity feature we lost.

Thanks!

There is still the same bug with the power manager;

1. Boot laptop on AC.
  2. Unplug AC adapter.
  3. The screen dims to 50 percent. (As reduce backlight brightness is checked in settings)
  4. Then use brightness fn keys and increase the brightness to 70 percent.
  5. Leave laptop idle. So idle dim kicks in.
  6. When screen returns from idle the brightness is now at 50 percent, not 70 percent as you did set with the brightness fn keys.
    Why? Because the brightness setting with the fn keys only persist when you are on AC. And on battery the brightness is set to 50 percent of that AC setting. So when on battery you end up with 50 percent of what your AC setting was.
    Workaround? Uncheck ā€˜reduce backlight brightnessā€™ in power manager.
    OR Better, install xfce4-power-manager.
    Would you think of changing mate-power-manager with xfce4-power-manager?
1 Like

I just installed mate 18,04 but i cant find any candidate for google chrome
any tips?

ah I already managedā€¦ some dependencies were missing but wasnt reported
i found out and managed to install version 65.0.3311.3 and running fine so far

Hi
Thumbs up for great work!
A request for including a easy to use USB formatting tool by default. Iā€™m using mintstick in ubuntu mate, which is functioning well.

Thanks

1 Like

after update today cant boot anymore
get a blinking cursor

will the Mutiny layout allow to put the launcher at the bottom?

@Markonuvo You can place the Brisk icon where ever you like :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has there been any progress with marco on Wayland or will that be a while

@Wimpy I meant the whole Taskbar, maybe I can just click on it and hit properties

@Bernie - Wayland will be a while, to be honest. Since this next release is an LTS, itā€™s very unlikely that we will see any work being done on it until after 18.04 is out, as the focus is on stabilizing whatever features are included in MATE in the months leading to the 18.04 release.

3 Likes

That is fine and I understand, Wayland has not even fully matured yet in
someways I was just wondering if work was being done, but I understand
trying to stabilize the desktop, though I find non LTS releases perfectly
stable sometimes even alphas are stable enough for daily use, imho, at
least Ubuntu-mate non LTS cannot say anything for sure about anything else
because nothing else matches ubuntu-mate, I have even tried out bionic in
live and found it completely usable, just my experiences

Iā€™m getting this when updating bionic ā€¦
E: The repository ā€˜http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu bionic Releaseā€™ does not have a Release file.

Hi @pavlos_kairis, I installed a Bionic daily about a month ago and kept it up to date but see no reference to that PPA repository. Perhaps it was used for awhile and replaced. This can happen in this alpha stage. That repository has nothing for Bionic now.

thanks, I will remove that ppa and continue ā€¦