Ubuntu MATE 18.04 - Yet more progress

I’ve been OK enough not to have reported anything, but I did dig through the bug reports at one point. It seems that touchpads vary dramatically, so different models can have all sorts of different behaviors.

For me the best change recently is the reduction/removal of hysterisis, which made precise movement feel really sloppy.

I do have some problems with it jumping only when I’m two finger scrolling or have locked the screen and unlocked it again, but it’s not terrible

Gnome3 and Wayland both have their problems with the synaptics driver, Mate as far as I can tell does not have any conflicts. Is there any reason for not using it? I have been bouncing back and forth between the two and thinking synaptics just makes it easier for me to tweak my Dell.

1 Like

Why do people change things that work?
Is there a petition?
:cow:

ok, ok, still waiting for that all brand new and shiny and… so and so :smiley:

1 Like

i do tend to like newer stuff and that is why I never stay with an LTS, but I may try the synaptics driver

I have also noticed the trackpad jitter, but I figured it was just the coffee! hah!

If we are talking about bugs, I am having some serious grub issues: it won’t restart/reboot, and has to have the power button pushed a number of times before the bootloader comes on (at all) to the grey list of ubuntu/memory test/etc. I haven’t seen that since I was dual booting, never since I only ever single boot. Half the time, it just goes to black screen.

Am I having hardware issues on my 12 year old core duo macbook (i386) or this a bug in the grub bootloader?

BTW, I am using the beta from March 13th, and updating everyday. AND, surprise! the Boutique DID (eventually) populate both Spotify and Opera, so that’s awesome :slight_smile:

I think I’ll hold off buying that new-to-me Dell laptop for another week or two :stuck_out_tongue:

I just wanted to drop in and mention some good news for a change.

I don’t know what’s different with the video drivers (Intel saying that nearly all recent installations for most major distros have the latest drivers integrated into their stack hints that it’s to do with improved drivers though) but on this laptop I’ve never been able to use the builtin HDMI port. I just tried it on a whim to see if anything changed and to my surprise Ubuntu-Mate immediately located the Television and displayed using it as a second screen. This is awesome!

I never used the HDMI port on this laptop and only used it on my MacBook Pro rarely but it was something that I had a use for that I had lost when I switched to this hardware and back to Ubuntu full time. I can now use my Ubuntu-Mate laptop for on the fly Kodi sessions if I’m out at a friend’s house and we want to watch a movie. Thank you so much!

Being that this is bug hunting time and papercuts time I’m sure you’re all tired of hearing bad news so I really wanted to report something good here.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

@bornagainpenguin libinput is updated in 18.04

5 Likes

I’ll test it when I get home from work.

UPDATE: OK, just got home from work. I went ahead, updated to the latest packages and removed the older version of the driver. Everything seemed to be fine so just to make sure I was actually using the new libinput I went ahead and did a reboot of the laptop.

As far as I can tell everything just works! No jitter at all. Thanks very much for this.

2 Likes

I would propose to use KeepassXC in software boutique instead of KeepassX. KeepassXC is better integrated in desktop environment and have some extra features.
Also it would be nice to have cupertino-like panel layout with window buttons applet, like in mutiny.

1 Like

I’ve suggested this to Martin too, especially since they have a snap :wink:

1 Like

I’m having trouble with my touchpad on my logitech k400r. Doble-tapping must be done very slowly, otherwise, it doesn’t work. I installed the synaptics driver (xserver-xorg-input-synaptics) and rebooted, but it didn’t fix the problem.

1 Like

I have one of these for my TV. I guess I should probably delay updating on that one until I have a backup image made.

It may be that because the k400r is an old device the new library doesn’t work too well. I wouldn’t mind getting a new keyboard track pad combo, but which one would work?

I strongly suggest KeepassXC too! :slight_smile: