Ubuntu Mate 20.04.1 errors Raspberry Pi 4 8Gb

Dear Support,

I have download Ubuntu Mate 20.04.1 64 Bit Focal Fossa and try to install it on my Brand New Raspberry pi 4 8 Gb but during instalation he give a system error and he do not install welcom and boutique ?? Why what do I wrong ??

I hope you have a sullution for this or a stable version I can use ??

Friendly Regards

Tom

How did you create the image and to what type of media (microSD or USB)?
Have you ever had a working OS on your Brand New Rpi 4?

I've found the same thing on my pi 4 8GB using a 64GB sd. The installation hangs at the "waiting for unattended upgr to exit". Assume it's doing automatic updates. Eventually times out giving an error message of low space.

The system reboots but I found the software boutique doesn't get installed unless done manually. Root (/) reports as being 100% full, disk shows; boot partition: 267MB (167 free) /dev/mmcblk0p1. The remaining partition: 64GB (57G free) /dev/mmcblk0p2

It seems like the process isn't allocating enough space for the installer to apply updates and fully complete.

Image download from unbuntu-mate website 64 Gb Sandisk microSD and balenaEtcher to write it on SD. And for me the same problem as MosGuy decribed giving problems about disk full and error during updates.

Now I have installed Ubuntu 64 Bit server on SD card and I manualy give assinment to use ubuntu-mate desktop after this all update software and manualy install welcom and boutique and this works well. Why now I have even the option run as mate of as ubuntu server

After you have just written an image with Ubuntu Mate to a microSD card, a very small 5GB partition is created for the SYSTEM. After you boot the Raspberry for the 1st time from this card, the unattended upgrade is launched and it does not have enough free space on this partition to install updates and necessary programs. Then, when the Raspberry is booted from this card for the 2nd time, this partition automatically expands from 5GB to 64GB at the time of booting. That's why users can't figure out what the problem is.

To avoid this, after writing the image with Ubuntu Mate to a microSD card, before the first Raspberry boot, run GParted and increase the partition with the system to at least 8GB. This should be enough for the initial installation process.

I wrote about this in more detail in my blog.

1 Like

Thanks for the info wakko. I was able to get it to work in the end by not enabling any network connections. No errors reported and after rebooting the updates went through fine. I did have to manually install mate welcome and boutique. Apart from that the process was smooth.

I've bookmarked your write-up, in case of format and re-install in future.