Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS Beta Testing

There was the usual 'to be uninstalled' weirdness - I'll edit the saved terminal output to see which is down to the next issue and which is just 'it always does this to at least one installed package for no obvious reason'.

Python is set up with a missing environmental setting so that many Python scripts don't run, but say:
/usr/bin/env: ‘python’: No such file or directory

Several packages in the Boutique that were removed by the upgrade from 19.10 wouldn't install, possibly because of this: Stellarium, Tor Browser, Calibre, Atom and Virtual Box. Successful installs included GIMP (the perennial removed on upgrade package here!), Luminance HDR, MyPaint, Etcher, GParted, Wire, Sublime Text, and Spotify.

I am testing Ubuntu MATE 20.04 on a Acer Aspire One D255 and have found, after installing updates, that audio no longer works.

When I inspect the sound settings in the system tray, I see that the built in audio is disabled/off with the profile being 'OFF'

A temporary fix is to install the Pulse audio volume control and select 'Configuration'. Then select 'Analogue Stereo Duplex (unplugged) (unavailable) and sound immediately returns until the next logout or reboot.

I'm not sure if the problem is due to a kernel update. I'm currently using 5.4.0-21 generic.

Hoping to get a security issue fixed before the final release: the power indicator doesn't lock the session before suspending. On a laptop this would allow unauthorized users access by resuming the system.

Steps to reproduce - live disc session:

1. Boot from beta or daily iso (tested on 2020-04-11)
  2. Change live user password
  3. Suspend session with Brisk menu
  4. Resume session, observe lock screen password prompt is displayed
  5. Suspend session with power indicator (top right corner)
  6. Resume session, notice that desktop is shown right away without a password prompt
1 Like

@Wimpy Where is the proper place to report issues or get help ?

I logged it here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1873451

I can confirm this, same issue here.

1 Like

I fixed it with:
sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
sudo apt install nvidia-340

Sorry if this has already been reported or an upstream problem...

The install is broken if you select in the Installation type:
Erase disk and install Ubuntu Mate
Select Advanced features...
Select Use LVM and Encrypt.
Type in the desired key and then Install Now.

It either crashes or indicates:
An error occurred while configuring encrypted volumes. The configuration has been aborted.

I'm doing the install with VMware Player, latest version.

Discovered a bug with password changes. Through Control Center.... Attempting to change user's password will not work. When you enter the old and new passwords and Click OK, the "Change User's Password" window will just sit there (grayed out) and do nothing.

I can change the password A-OK using "passwd" via the terminal.

Typical error when Software Boutique fails: "Depends: python3:any but it is a virtual package", which suggests that it is down to the beta not setting up Python properly.

xscreensaver-5.42+dfsg1 with latest MATE 20.04 update

$ xscreensaver-demo

(xscreensaver-demo:3622231): libglade-WARNING **: 09:18:09.109: Could not load support for 
   `gnome': libgnome.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
  xscreensaver-demo: 09:18:09: XScreenSaver-debug: Name com.canonical.AppMenu.Registrar does 
not exist on the session bus
glslideshow: couldn't create GL context for visual 0x24.
glslideshow: couldn't create GL context for visual 0x24.

seahorse ask for password every time when i boot computer.
LIghtdm is set to autologin.
I set blank password in seahorse but it dont help.

I upgraded from 19.10 and now my HP5200 is broken. The printer still works but using simple-scan,
even though I select all pages from feeder it instead only scans one page from flatbed.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+bug/1873748

Is anybody else seeing this general distortion in Appearance Preferences? Icons are way too big, eg the folder icon which even overlaps the Open button, some sort of background shading appears in lightgrey outside of the borderline (look at an 18.04 equivalent to see what I mean - there the 1-pixel darkgrey line around the theme example is the outside of the example). And the MATE specific ones have both round and square corners at the top.

In general under 20.04 my icons seem way too big, eg Firefox and Libreoffice, at least compared to 18.04. I assumed it was HiDPI stuff, but changing from Auto-detect to Regular makes no difference. (Selecting HiPDI does, everything is so large it's hard to set it back :wink: )

I've tried under both Marco and Compiz. System is a 17" Dell Vostro 1920x1200 no external displays.

Please create a bug report on your issue and provide details on the printer/scanner.

I am not seeing this issue. I am able to add users and change password through control center.
Can you update your system or install the newest iso and report back.

2 Likes

Can Do!!!! I'll install the latest ISO in a VM and get back with you.

Mr. Meeseeks - Can Do

Release Candidates are now out.

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/ubuntu-mate-20-04-lts-release-canididate-testing/21541/4

2 Likes