Ubuntu MATE 20.04 Pre-release Testing

Same here a few moments ago. See screenshot below -

Edit: Restarted synaptic but nothing there. Rebooted, tried synaptic again, nothing reported needed updating. No apparent malfunction as far as I can tell.

OK, I've submitted a BUG report

1 Like

This is affecting other flavours as well. @ajtravis what is your bug report #?

Hi, I've reported it as Bug #1866377

1 Like

Got it. Thanks! Also thanks for creating the bug report.

Tested live session on VB. Got few problems with lots of icons not showing up in Slovenian translations of menu.

missing icons No icons

Hopefully I found all the translations of System (Sistem:) and Places (Mesta:) on Transifex too, otherwise it will drive me crazy those little :

Another thing I notice when translating... I couldn't find strings to translate brisk menu items: Favourites, All, Sorry no items is found...

Question: When in the testing process languages gets updated?

Anyone know if ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu mate package if updated already?

Icons that are missing in other languages were likely caused by translators accidentally translating icon IDs. If you spot them, please delete the translation.

Here's an example of a string:

Surprisingly, I can't seem to find the translations of this project either. Maybe @vkareh knows?

The deadline for 20.04 translations is April 9th, according to the release schedule. They might be synchronised before this date. It could take some time for packages to update.

Ubuntu flavours share the same package (ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu). Right now, the last update was 5th March 2020. See details on Launchpad for the Focal Fossa series.

Found it - Brisk Menu is Solus' project, translations are stored here:

They use a system similar to Transifex:

1 Like

Thanks for the answers @lah7.

I notice some while translating and leave it empty...
OK Searched for those translations. Found 170 those kind of notes and around 70 were translated by someone else 4 months ago. Deleted those I found now.

Thanks for link. I checked and it's not updated yet, still has VLC in strings and few other stuff are missing.

Thanks. Can't find a way to add new language trough.

Dear community,

I'd like to share some minor issues I observe in 20.04 compared to 18.04.

• Network manager applet seems to have a redundant spacer at the bottom which, apparently, is occupying some space. Other indicator applets look fine.
  • This one is quite subjective. I know from 19.10 release notes that indicator applet and icons were refactored to support correct scaling. As a result, in 20.04 panel icons became smaller, but they look a bit blurry with default 28px panel setup. With 30px panel they slightly scale up and look sharper -- exactly like in 18.04. Additionally, notification center icon -- "the bell" -- looks too massive compared to other icons.
    issue_2

Did anybody have similar experience or, maybe, can test and reproduce these issues? My test was in virtualbox, both systems upgraded, screen resolution was 1366x768 (1360x683 in virtualbox).

Best regards

The most convenient way would be to register for an account using their web interface, there's a Start New Translation button at the bottom, but you'll need to register for an account.

The other option is to work with POT/PO files and Git version control directly. You can install/use a tool called Poedit and open up brisk-menu.pot and create a PO file for the new language. This can be sent to them as a pull request. Don't forget to edit LINGUAS too.

1 Like

I tweaked the theme some time ago so that the padding separator in context menus actually has padding. This is reflected in your screenshot - the left (18.04) is all squished together whereas the right (20.04) contains the padding, hence a slightly longer menu.

So, this can only mean the indicator itself (nm-applet) is unnecessarily adding an extra padding item at the bottom.

I'm not familiar with the panel code changes, but zooming up close, the icons look correct from a technical point of view. The bell icon looks like it utilises more of the vertical whitespace.

2 Likes

Hi @lah7,

thanks for a quick and thorough explanation.

Cheers!

This should have been resolved.

Yes, "update-initramfs" is working fine in my Ubuntu-MATE 20.04rc instance now.
Thanks.

Hi,
I have many problems:

• no welcome-screen on first startup after fresh install - it just appears on the second startup, whyever

• bad integration of Nvidia-driver: why does the install use Open-ICD instead of Nvidia's?

• why does software like "Kdenlive" does not recognize/find hardware-acceleration?

• why is CUDA not preinstalled with the driver? (Blender does not find Cuda although my card has and clinfo confirms it seems to be there...Cuda-Toolkit missing?)

• Wlan is often not present after startup - I have to click the symbol in the taskbar, deactivate and then re-activate the wireless network

• many errors in x-error-log in home-dir regarding package "deja dup"

• many, many errormessages in many /var/log-files:

Mar 13 00:11:58 m-System-Product-Name dbus-daemon[824]: Unknown group "power" in message bus configuration file
    Mar 13 00:11:58 m-System-Product-Name dbus-daemon[824]: [system] Reloaded configuration
    Mar 13 00:11:58 m-System-Product-Name dbus-daemon[824]: Unknown group "power" in message bus configuration file
    Mar 13 00:11:58 m-System-Product-Name dbus-daemon[824]: [system] Reloaded configuration

Mar 13 00:11:59 m-System-Product-Name systemd[1]: /lib/systemd/system/dbus.socket:5: ListenStream= references a path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket → /run/dbus/system_bus_socket; please update the unit file accordingly.

Mar 13 00:12:00 m-System-Product-Name dbus-daemon[824]: Unknown group "power" in message bus configuration file
    Mar 13 00:12:00 m-System-Product-Name dbus-daemon[824]: [system] Reloaded configuration
    Mar 13 00:12:00 m-System-Product-Name dbus-daemon[824]: Unknown group "power" in message bus configuration file
    Mar 13 00:12:00 m-System-Product-Name dbus-daemon[824]: [system] Reloaded configuration

(cant attach more actually without a reboot)

System often does not restart correct - its just not able to shutdown until I do a hardreset.
On every restart I get a message that errors encountered and if it should be reported.

Ubuntu Mate could be a great OS - if programs like Blender or Kdenlive work out-of the-box without all these driver-struggles and if you would iron out all these errormessages and teething with stuff like deja-dup or network-connectivity ...

Dear community,

be careful upgrading your 20.04 system. There is a recent bug breaking your upgrade. If you try to reboot system after this failed upgrade, you'll be unable to log in back in both graphical mode and tty. Neither will help recovery mode. Workaround is given in the duplicate bug thread. You may also use live session to copy the discussed file instead of modifying grub (at least, that worked for virtualbox installation).

Take care

1 Like

Here I attach a Xerrors-log from an almost fresh installed Ubuntu Mate 20.04 (yesterday).

Horrible in my opinion. Why are there so many warnings and errors???
I really hope that this is not the state in which this system should be spread to endusers.......

dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DISPLAY=:0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XAUTHORITY=/home/m/.Xauthority
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK_MODULES=appmenu-gtk-module:gail:atk-bridge:canberra-gtk-module
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting SHELL=/bin/bash
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-mate:/etc/xdg
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LANGUAGE=de_DE
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DESKTOP_SESSION=mate
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK_MODULES=appmenu-gtk-module:gail:atk-bridge:canberra-gtk-module
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PWD=/home/m
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=mate
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LOGNAME=m
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk2
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent:0:1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XAUTHORITY=/home/m/.Xauthority
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm-data/m
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GDM_LANG=de_DE
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting HOME=/home/m
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting IM_CONFIG_PHASE=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=MATE
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting USER=m
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DISPLAY=:0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting SHLVL=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/mate:/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GDMSESSION=mate
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting _=/usr/bin/dbus-update-activation-environment
mate-session[1266]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file /etc/xdg/autostart/org.gnome.DejaDup.Monitor.desktop: Unbekannte .desktop-Dateiversion »1.1«
mate-session[1266]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: object GsmAutostartApp 0x55cb18bb4170 finalized while still in-construction
mate-session[1266]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: Custom constructor for class GsmAutostartApp returned NULL (which is invalid). Please use GInitable instead.
mate-session[1266]: WARNING: could not read /etc/xdg/autostart/org.gnome.DejaDup.Monitor.desktop
mate-session[1266]: WARNING: Unable to find provider '' of required component 'dock'
Warnung der Fensterverwaltung:Log level 128: unsetenv() is not thread-safe and should not be used after threads are created
Warnung der Fensterverwaltung:Log level 128: Name com.canonical.AppMenu.Registrar does not exist on the session bus

(process:1580): indicator-sound-WARNING **: 14:50:06.309: volume-control-pulse.vala:735: unable to get pulse unix socket: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.PulseAudio1 was not provided by any .service files

** (process:1616): WARNING **: 14:50:06.665: could not find the desktop file for 'org.gnome.Calendar.desktop'

(process:1616): Indicator-Datetime-WARNING **: 14:50:06.814: Unrecognized TZID: 'Etc/Utc'

(process:1616): Indicator-Datetime-WARNING **: 14:50:06.814: Unrecognized TZID: 'Etc/Utc'

(process:1616): Indicator-Datetime-WARNING **: 14:50:06.882: Unrecognized TZID: 'Etc/Utc'

(caja:1545): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:50:07.115: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.AlreadyRegistered: Unable to register client

(nm-applet:1682): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:50:07.651: Can't set a parent on widget which has a parent
blueman-applet 14.50.07 WARNING  PluginManager:147 __load_plugin: Not loading PPPSupport because its conflict has higher priority
blueman-applet 14.50.07 WARNING  PluginManager:147 __load_plugin: Not loading DhcpClient because its conflict has higher priority
RuntimeError: object at 0x7f5a37a74240 of type FolderColorMenu is not initialized
RuntimeError: object at 0x7f5a37bbd980 of type RenameMenu is not initialized

(mate-terminal:1840): VTE-CRITICAL **: 14:50:11.534: void vte_terminal_match_set_cursor_type(VteTerminal*, int, GdkCursorType): assertion 'tag >= 0' failed

(mate-terminal:1840): VTE-CRITICAL **: 14:50:11.534: void vte_terminal_match_set_cursor_type(VteTerminal*, int, GdkCursorType): assertion 'tag >= 0' failed

INFO:root:The HUD is disabled via org.mate.hud in gsettings.
blueman-applet 14.50.12 WARNING  DiscvManager:109 update_menuitems: warning: Adapter is None
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/caja-python/extensions/dejadup.py", line 156, in get_file_items
    include_paths = self.dejadup.get_dejadup_paths('include-list')
  File "/usr/share/caja-python/extensions/dejadup.py", line 70, in get_dejadup_paths
    paths = ast.literal_eval([stdout][0]) # Convert shell dump to list
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/ast.py", line 96, in literal_eval
    return _convert(node_or_string)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/ast.py", line 95, in _convert
    return _convert_signed_num(node)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/ast.py", line 74, in _convert_signed_num
    return _convert_num(node)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/ast.py", line 66, in _convert_num
    raise ValueError('malformed node or string: ' + repr(node))
ValueError: malformed node or string: b"['$HOME']\n"
RuntimeError: object at 0x7f5a37a74240 of type FolderColorMenu is not initialized
  File "/usr/share/caja-python/extensions/dejadup.py", line 156, in get_file_items
  File "/usr/share/caja-python/extensions/dejadup.py", line 70, in get_dejadup_paths

BTW, beside all these errors I have had a big problem installing Ubuntu build from yesterday - It crashed always in the install-process, I assume while installing the NVidia-driver.

Thanks @ironfoot

This should be resolved, upgrades working normally now.

1 Like

I upgraded to UM 20.04 sometime ago and I am glad to say that, after a few post-installation glitches, it works beautifully.
One question, if I may. In the last few days, whenever I turn on my laptop, I get the following message: "System problem detected. Do you want to report the problem now?".
I have no idea of what this "problem" is. The system works perfectly.
But should I report it or not? It might be just a waste of time for you.