Ubuntu-mate good match for modern-day psion?

Ever since I got my first psion 3a and psion’s demise soon after, I’ve really missed having a fully featured computer in a palm-size device. Since then I’ve had the Nokia E90 communicator and N900, and at the moment I’m using a google pixel with a cumbersome bluetooth keyboard, but none quite recreated the experience of having a half-decent keyboard in your pocket (the N900 was terrific in that I had linux/debian running on my phone - but the keyboard was not quite what the psions were). So I was very excited to see this indie gogo campaign which has collaborated with one of the original designers of the psion to bring a modern day psion to market.

I think this is great for anyone who has a lot of email to deal with while on the move, anyone who likes to write or take notes (especially at conferences where a laptop is just too bulky), or even someone who likes to type a lot on forums/reddit etc! It would also be great for people need to SSH into a server on the move, and for myself, I’d like to use it to write and run programs on the move for my job.

Anyway, I’m thinking ubuntu-mate would be well placed as their linux distribution, and they are currently looking into their options for getting the device to dual-boot android and linux. Any thoughts? Anyone else as excited about this device as I am?

2 Likes

Indeed I had a Psion that I got repaired twice (screen hinge) and I abandoned it with much regret.
The way they announce “their best efforts” to match the announced Gemini specs worries me anyhow. If for instance they abandon the interchangeable battery it’s a definitive no-go for me (and of course I’ll be suspicious about this hinge :wink:
I see they are fully funded, so (thanks to you) I’ll come back to follow. Mate on this would be perfect…
Do you understand like me that the screen is touch-enabled?

actually i thought the specs were a bit excessive - there’s no way you need that many cores for a note taking device! for me a good keyboard and decent storage options are probably more important. yes looks like it’s a touch screen, and also a ridiculous resolution too - which will be issues for scaling ESP with mate.

anyway, i hope it gets through to production - I’ve been wanting something like this for years!!