Ubuntu Mate really slow on raspberry pi 2

Hi, I just bought raspberry pi 2 and installed Ubuntu mate 15.10. I dont know if I did something wrong but the performance is awful. It takes forever to start firefox and the whole system is extremely laggy. Am I the only one with that problem? Can anyone help?

Hi,

open a terminal and try the following commands:

sudo apt-get --fix-missing install

The above command downloads and installs any missing packages on your system.

sudo apt-get --fix-broken install

The above command downloads and installs any broken dependencies on your system.

Hope it helps!. :smiley:

You have to remember the Raspberry Pi is a micro-computer, it will be much slower than a traditional PC. While I don’t have a Pi handy to check speed times, it would be normal to take a few seconds to load programs and be a bit rough with performance.

The micro-SD used may make a difference, higher quality cards should offer better read/write speeds then cheap cards.

Also check that you are giving your Pi sufficient power and isn’t overheating. Using a wall-adapter is recommended, whereas using the power from a device’s USB (like TV or computer) is a bad idea for the Pi, it can cause crashes and corruption as it’s not designed to use power from one of these.

thanks for the reply wolfman. unfortunatelly 0 missing 0 broken

1 Like

Iah7 I know that I cant expect the speed I have with my desktop but even typing lags sometimes. I also tried raspbian which runs smoothly (but I want Ubuntu :frowning: ). I am using a kingston sd card 32GB class 10 U3 and a wall-adapter with 2 amps as recomended and my raspberry pi does not overheat and the only attached device is my keyboad/mouse. I tried reinstalling but no result. I also tried ubuntu mate 15.04 throught berryboot but nothing. Any other ideas? Is there something I could have done wrong? The installation process was very simple bu different than the typical ubuntu desktop installation and did not ask me for swap partition? Could that be the problem (and if yes, how can I fix it)?

There is the latest 15.10 version you could try, which features a whole bunch of improvements to 15.04, including a new kernel:

This version might not be yet updated if you use a multi-distro tool like BerryBoot.

Otherwise, everything in your setup sounds good. :thumbsup:

Swap is not necessary for the Pi, as this would really slow performance when the system starts to swap, it might also wear out the card so it’s not included.

1 Like

ok, I’ll give 15.10 another try. Thanks for the reply

Also make sure you’re using a Class 6 or Class 10 microSDHC card.

Use a Class 10 micro-SD card. This gives better responsiveness of the OS in overall. The price difference is not big compared to lower class type cards.

1 Like

hi are you sure no is the mouse ? , i have a similar problem but is the mouse