Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi 3B+

@Nick_Profitt There you go :wink:

@MaxVMH I’m also having difficulty sending you a PM, could you please PM me the DL link?, thank you in advance!

Thanks for sharing @MaxVMH! It works.

Awsome Image Mate, Thanks muchly ll keep it available on my torrenter for others to use.

@MaxVMH could you PM me the link please? Thanks in advance…
Phil

ANy chance I can get the direct links too? the toorrent doesnt appear to be seeded by anyone :frowning:

Hi MaxVMH will you please send me direct link. I Could not PM you.

Thank You

Would we be able to upgrade from 16:04 to 18:04 or should we make a new / fresh install in the card?
Until that moment, normal updates are in order. I must say I have to update always from the terminal, cause the update application crashes / freezes the R Pi3+ :frowning:
Nevertheless: GREAT JOB WITH UbuntuMATE for Pi !! Thank you, guys and community! :fireworks:

I have 18.04 running on my 3B+. I got there using the method I describe in “How-To Set Up and Upgrade Ubuntu MATE 16.04 on a Pi 2/3/3B+:innocent:

1 Like

I applaud you and thank you graf_eberstein for all the work that you did documenting your upgrade procedures for the 3B+. I followed your steps for upgrading 16.04 to 18.04. I started with a very stable Mate 16.04 install and unfortunately ended up after the upgrade completed with an unstable 18.04 installation that would lock up frequently for no apparent reason. I am anxious to test a 18.04 released image once it is available.

Happy holidays!

I’m not sure how your install ended up being unstable, but I am surprised by that. There have been one or two instances where folks have had problems that resulted from oversights (but which went away when addressed), and one due to a hardware incompatibility. However, I had no reports of unstable installations.

My questions are:

• Did you install onto a Raspberry Pi 2, Pi 3, or 3B+, and which?
  • Did you follow all the steps?
  • Where and how did the system become unstable?

I will say this: The only aberrant behaviour I’ve found in all my time running 18.04 on the 3B+ has been that if the monitor is not on when the Pi boots, it doesn’t always send video signal out over HDMI, but that also happens with the newer Raspbian so it’s not specific to Ubuntu MATE AND is easily fixed with a reboot via remote shell. I did have a non-responsive mouse/keyboard once as well, but after much troubleshooting it ended up being human error.

Thank you graf_eberstein for your response. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. I installed onto a 3B+ with 16.04.5 already running perfectly.
  2. The only variation I took in your published steps was to initiate the 18.04 upgrade from the software updater app instead of from terminal using the do-release-upgrade command. In any case, the upgrade completed successfully. All other steps were followed exactly.
  3. The system became unstable (intermittent lockups) mostly during xrdp remote desktop sessions which I use way more often than local sessions to this Pi. I use Remmina on my Linux Mint laptop and Remote Desktop from my Windows 10 laptop to access both of my Pi 3B+'s. I would add that my 16.04.5 installation has never locked up once during a remote session FWIW.

Perhaps using the software updater to initiate the upgrade or perhaps using xrdp to connect to this Pi was a contributing factor. In any case it looks like there will be an official 18.04 image available for the 3B+ soon that I will try. I hope my response is helpful in some way.

I think you may have just answered the source of your problem: You stated that:

The only variation I took in your published steps was to initiate the 18.04 upgrade from the software updater app instead of from terminal using the do-release-upgrade command.

That divergence might be the source of your problem. I never tested the process with the GUI updater. Even without the upgrade, I’ve experienced unreported mystery fails. At least with the command line update you can see if something went amiss. So as far as this is concerned, my suggestion is that you try again provided you have a spare card.

The other thing is that it sounds as if your 16.04 setup was already up and running, with customizations and additional software. The track I describe doesn’t directly account for that, but expects a clean system. Consequently, it is entirely possible that a customization (software change, etc.) is preventing proper completion. Under that guise yes, xrdp could be to blame too. Again, if you have a spare card that you can use to create a clean install, that might be a good way to find out.

I appreciate your comments and follow-up.

My pleasure. I do hope you have the means to try the clean install and see if that makes a difference. I’d be interested to find out if that or the GUI updater is the cause of the issues. If that turns out to be the case then I’ll include a mention thereof in my documentation.

Have a great new year!

I decided to try your upgrade procedure again starting with a fresh 16.04 install on sd card and initiating the upgrade from terminal in a local session instead of via a xrdp remote connection. The upgrade went smoothly and 18.04 is running great on my 3B+.

The thing that impresses me the most after installing a bunch of apps and configuring settings is how fast 18.04 is running both in a local session and using xrdp. It is handling youtube video way better than my 16.04 installation and is running quicker on sd card than 16.04 runs on an external ssd.

The only issue I have experienced so far is that my bluetooth keyboard connection is not remembered after each reboot. This is not the case with my 16.04 installation. Next, I will burn this 18.04 image to ssd to see how it runs and if I can use the same sd card that I use with 16.04 to usb boot or if it has to be configured differently.

I have confirmed that the same sd card that boots 16.04 also boots 18.04 allowing me to run either Mate version on external usb drives (ssd in my case). Thanks again graf_eberstein for the upgrade procedure.

You’re most welcome! Keyboard aside, I’m glad you got all of the stability issues worked out.

As for the Bluetooth keyboard issue specifically: I have five Pi systems, one being the 3B+ (typically running Ubuntu MATE), and four 3Bs for other purposes. One of those four runs LibreELEC, and I have a Bluetooth keyboard attached to it. That Pi also experiences random “amnesia” and disconnects. I always thought the problem was the keyboard, but since I don’t use that Pi much, I let it slide. However, I gave the matter another look since your remark about the issue.

I have cards with Raspbian, LibreELEC, OpenELEC, OSMC, and RetroPie images. It doesn’t matter which Pi or which image is running on it, Bluetooth disconnect/amnesia happens; only the frequency varies. However, when I subsequently attached the keyboard to my mobile devices (Android) and to my (Windows) PC, I had ZERO problems with it.

Given these results, I think it’s either a driver issue (remember, all distros have these in common), or a problem with the BT hardware implementation on the Pi… Of course, I don’t know enough about the inner workings, so this is pure speculation…

I am seeing this error at login each time I boot this upgraded 18.04 image using a xrdp remote desktop connection on my 3B+. It does not appear when I login locally. I can simply hit the escape key or click cancel and the error disappears without any apparent consequence. My efforts at googling a solution has not yielded an answer. Any idea how to resolve this minor nuisance?

IMG_2584

Sorry. Unfortunately I don’t. :cry: