UM on Pi3 - an update conundrum

I have been trying various operating systems on my new Pi 3. I am convinced that computers need to be taught how to run an OS. This is my third install of Ubuntu from the same image file onto the same microSD card. This time everything is running fine. I did all the setup tasks identically - I have notes. That said, when I connected to the Pi wish SSH I received the message

`Welcome to Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.9.67-v7+ armv7l)

24 packages can be updated.
3 updates are security updates.`

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade -y ended with the following

The following packages have been kept back: libegl1-mesa libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libinput10 libwayland-egl1-mesa mate-dock-applet ubuntu-mate-welcome xserver-xorg-core-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-input-evdev-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-input-wacom-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-ati-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-fbdev-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-radeon-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-video-vesa-hwe-16.04 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 17 not upgraded.

The question is… where are the 7 missing “packages (which) can be updated”, specifically of concern the 3 security updates? I have also run rpi-upgrade. I still show 24 packages which can be updated.

TIA,

Ken

You just need to use
sudo apt full-upgrade -y
Which should update them all unless you’ve blocked some.
Hope this helps! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks Caleb_Evans,

That did indeed do the trick. However, after inspecting the packages had been held back it seems that they are related to various video cards which are NO in the Pi nor can they be added to the Pi. I think I will restore from my backup image and leave them held back.

Still, the OS did boot and run OK after the updates.

Ken