Update Issues 17.10

I just completed my update to 17.10. I have found two issues so far:

1. Firefox has deleted my starting tabs and replaced them with the Ubuntu Mate page.

2. Jupiter Broadcasting shows no longer play in Kodi 17.3. I have a portion of the logfile copied, don’t know whether to post it here or in the Kodi forum.

For 1 – see this topic – it’s a Firefox bug:

Simply delete these files:

sudo rm /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/pref/all-ubuntumate.js
sudo rm /usr/lib/firefox/ubuntumate.cfg

For this – you could post some of the log here, in case it’s something that can resolved on this side (e.g. codecs or drivers), otherwise the Kodi forum is where the experts will be. :slight_smile:

I saw that bug before, and deleted those files, to no avail. At any rate,
it is NOT a Firefox bug, Ubuntu writes the new configs not Firefox.

And there is no way to attach files on this forum, so I did not attach the
files. I did attach them to Kodi and Jupiter; Kodi said they are not
concerned with the way plugins run, Jupiter loked into it and said it was a
codec [problem and solved it.

Well it’s 50:50 of bug blame… defaultPref is broken upstream for Firefox on Linux distros (as noted in that topic), and Ubuntu MATE tried a workaround, but ends up having the page set to that regardless. :thumbsdown:

Going forward, the correct specification will be used, but will mean this default homepage won’t be seen until the upstream bug is fixed. Deleting those files should prevent it, as they are the only files that the package ubuntu-mate-settings adds that enforces that homepage.

Attaching logs isn’t possible, but in future, you could copy and paste them here and surround them with code blocks (3 backticks surrounding them)

```
<paste here>
```

Instead of deleting ubuntumate.cfg I edited it to the home page I wanted. It has worked ever since. Maybe that will work for you as well.

1 Like

Tonight I finally got the updater to work. Except it didn’t.

After about 3 hours of downloading and installing, my GRUB, which used to include 4 partitions (Elementary OS, KDE Neon, Ubuntu MATE, and XenialPuppy64) now seems to think it has 5 partitions (Ubuntu, Elementary OS, KDE Neon, Ubuntu MATE, and XenialPuppy64).

And whether I select Ubuntu or Ubuntu MATE, it loads the login screen for 18.04, and then takes me directly to my Kodi installation. Exiting Kodi takes me back to the login screen.

So I guess I’m still using KDE Neon until I can take the time to do a full download and installation.