Updated - Security, Lost work - Unable to unlock session after being unable to exit from screensaver

while I am working on this issue, I have installed xscreensaver as I still need to lock my system when I am not around. I don't like it because the screen will not completely blank (backlight stays on or chosen screensaver always runs w/o turning off the screen), even though my Power management is set to turn off the screen on inactivity. Any ideas on how to get the Power Management settings to work in conjunction with xscreensaver? Wow, something so simple is so hard! I have to say that this unlocking problem never existed in Ubuntu. It is my only complaint with Ubuntu MATE.

logfile="$HOME/screensavercrash.log"

No, I have no idea how powermanagement settings work in conjunction with xscreensaver. I haven't run xscreensaver for at least 10 years.

How do I create/save such a script?

The script in question: Just copy and paste into a terminal and press enter.
The script will automatically be saved in $HOME/bin and made executable.

Afterwards, you only have to manually add it in startup applications like in the explanation (with screenshot :wink: )

ok thx for everything,, I will try it.

I ran the script and added the startup part. Do I have to activate it or is it running now? Like do I have to reboot?

I have rebooted, will see if it works as it did not after first return from screensaver before the reboot. I also have uninstalled the xscreensaver (too tacky, LOL)

Thanks for looking into this issue for me. Unfortunately this morning I was unable to type the password to exit screensaver. So it appears its not the screensaver nor the keyboard.

Can I leave those last mods in the system for crashing screensaver? Can I just disable the running of the scripts from startup? Or leave them all as is?

New information - issue happens also when I choose the lock option from the power menu in the top right corner of the indicator panel

I am completely at a loss.
The only thing I can think of is ACPI either the kernelpart or the BIOS part.
But unfortunately that is outside my zone of expertise. :pensive:

Interestingly, I had no issues with regular Ubuntu nor after installing MATE DE on Ubuntu, started after fresh install of Ubuntu MATE. But I think it was still using gnome-screensaver and not mate-screensaver which is being used now

thanks for all your help

1 Like

On both my desktop and my thinkpad it works like a charm, and it did work on your set with an older version.

I am really at a loss here.

Only one thing left that I can think of before I give up completely:
There is a reasonable chance that it is kernel related. The new install probably brought a newer kernel. Perhaps you could try an older kernel to see if that will work ?

A mismatch between kernel and BIOS do happen sometimes. It is commonly solved by either updating the BIOS or changing to an older or newer kernel.

ok, will check into that

While I am researching this I've installed a program called i3lock. I assigned the lock command to a keyboard shortcut, so I just press Super + b and the screen locks. The mate screensaver still kicks in, but doesn't lock the system. Anyway its a workaround should someone else be experiencing a similar issue. https://www.hecticgeek.com/i3lock-screen-locker-ubuntu-linux/

1 Like

Update: I just performed a fresh install (from scratch) on my laptop. It has the exact same issue with the screensaver as my desktop. It didn't have the issue prior when it was just MATE desktop added to regular Ubuntu. So I have duplicated the issue on a second machine.

Its not the ISO I checked it.

Its not the ISO I checked it.

Just letting you know this is still an issue with 22.04.1 LTS on 2 different machines, one laptop and one AIO, using 2 different ISO's that were both confirmed good download... Still using my workaround i3lock to lock the computer