Updated Ubuntu MATE and Firefox

Now that I’ve updated to 16.10, I went to set Firefox to my usual set of opening pages… and they don’t hold. No matter what I do, the next time I open Firefox I’m greeted by the Ubuntu MATE page. How do I fix this? I’ve not had this problem in any other distro including that nasty Windoze thing.

I think the problem and solutions is here:

In short, you need to open caja as a superuser withsudo caja in a terminal

Navigate to “/usr/lib/firefox/” and delete “ubuntumate.cfg”

Navigate to “/usr/lib/firefox/defaults/pref/” and delete “all-ubuntumate.js”

Then, presumably, log out and back in

Check out the link above, though, to be certain for yourself

1 Like

I would love to know why people keep asking me to specify “which Ubuntu MATE” I’m using. I am using what came with Ubuntu MATE, first 16.04 then 16.10 Is there more information than that needed?

I followed the steps above and it did, indeed, do the trick.

Because it matters which version you are using. If you are using 16.04, you wont have this issue. If you are using 16.10 you will. It is not an inevitable matter of course that people who are using 16.04 will upgrade to 16.10. 16.04 is an LTS release. But, 16.10 is not. Many people prefer to go from LTS to LTS. Thus, some people who are currently using 16.04 do not intend to upgrade until 18.04. I am one of those people. You may have been as well. We don’t know unless we ask.

See below for the difference in LTS and non-LTS

1 Like

But…but… I STATED it was due to the upgrade to 16.10, and I even
included 16.10 as a keyword…

I have just re-read through this thread and I can’t see where anyone has asked you to say which version you are using.

2 Likes

Quote: " It’s safer to delete them with sudo then uninstall
ubuntu-mate-default-settings which contains other defaults like the panels
in MATE Tweak. It would have been helpful @SkipF if you specified which
Ubuntu MATE version in your opening post. :expressionle…"

That is a link to another thread. Obviously, it was not going to directly and specifically relate to your own request on here. But, it was sufficiently in line with your own request that it was quite possible to take what you needed from it. However, on the basis you might not be able to do that, I took the time and trouble of taking the important bits and posting them separately below the link to save you the time. You used that and it worked. End of story. Or, at least, it should be. Now, it seems, you are just being incredibly silly and bad mannered. Stop it.

3 Likes

I’m sorry that you see me as being silly. But really, ME being
bad-mannered? Mirrors may solve that issue.

This thread is solved and no longer seems to be going anywhere.