Upgraded To 18.10 using Software Updater. My thoughts as a Normie

For the most part, it works good, not great because of some issues.

The issues isn’t about the upgrading process, which in this case, the Software Updater works. I click a button, it lays out what it’s going to do e.g. Fetching packages, disabling 3rd party software, installing packages, clean-up then restart. Easy to understand, takes 30 minutes, no biggie.

After the upgrade is where things becomes meh~

For starters, it disabled “3rd party software” that includes my Pop! Theme, Google Chrome repository, graphics driver ppa, etcetera. I go into Software & Updates to turn them on again but it leaves this ugly sign on the beginning of every line that says “disabled due to upgrade to Cosmic.” It’s not really problem, it’s just unsightly.

Next, it kinda broke Pop Theme. It says in the “Change Desktop Background” that Pop Theme will not work as intended because the required window manager theme ‘Pop’ is not installed. I reinstalled Pop Theme but I’m still getting the same error. I opted to used another theme instead.

These are initially things that I found, they’re not big enough to cause annoyance, but they’re not small enough to ignore either.

In summary - and I am speaking as, an unironic Linux normie here - I think it went as smoothly as it could. I wouldn’t want to upgrade via Software Updater again - I would probably just make a clean install instead.

Otherwise, the experience wasn’t bad. But the end result is kinda meh~ It would be preferable that once upgraded, everything went back to normal.

I go into Software & Updates to turn them on again but it leaves this ugly sign on the beginning of every line that says “disabled due to upgrade to Cosmic.” It’s not really problem, it’s just unsightly.

It’s just a comment, you can remove it. BTW, if you use a lot of 3rd-party repos, be aware that not all of them are immediately (or ever) ported to a new Ubuntu version; others are not made specifically for Ubuntu and have a different codename (e.g. the Google Chrome repo isn’t made for bionic, cosmic or whatever, it’s a “stable” version that can be used on any Debian derivative). When you upgrade Ubuntu to a new version, better double-check that your 3rd-party repos 1) have the right codename used (don’t forget to change it also in the deb-src line, as it isn’t when it’s commented out, in case you enable it at some point); and 2) are still useful (some repos are obsolete because the Ubuntu ones have a newer version of the same apps).

Also, be aware that some 3rd-party repos provide newer versions of apps that are not packaged in the same way as in the Ubuntu repos (e.g. that’s the case for Kodi, MKVToolnixGUI, OpenMW, ScummVM… to name a few I know of). When that’s the case, it is absolutely necessary to revert to the version from the Ubuntu repos before starting the upgrade or it can break it.

Next, it kinda broke Pop Theme. It says in the “Change Desktop Background” that Pop Theme will not work as intended because the required window manager theme ‘Pop’ is not installed. I reinstalled Pop Theme but I’m still getting the same error. I opted to used another theme instead.

I don’t know this theme but it’s possible that an update to it has changed the way it is packaged and it needs additional packages or something like this, that is not really related to Ubuntu MATE but to the theme itself. In which case you’d have the same issue with a fresh install of UM 18.10.

Where did you install it from?

Yup, just did that.

Will do. Thanks :+1:

From the System 76 ppa.

I had it installed since 18.04 first came out and it worked flawlessly. I have it now on my gaming setup and it doesn’t have the same error. It’s not really a big deal though, it’s just noticeable.

I assume it’s the PPA for Pop!_OS? I have just checked and can indeed confirm the issue but there’s nothing you can do: the Bionic (18.04) version of the theme includes a Metacity part (that’s the windows title bar decoration used on MATE) but it has been removed from the Cosmic (18.10) version. Presumably because the main Ubuntu version has now completely switched to GNOME and as PopOS is based on it, they don’t see the point in maintaining a part of the theme that is irrelevant to them (GNOME doesn’t use Metacity anymore for its windows borders).

You have this error simply because from version 18.10 onwards, the theme has dropped a part that is used only by the MATE desktop (they also dropped the equivalent for XFCE, BTW, so Xubuntu 18.10 users installing the theme would have a similar error). It’s not something the Ubuntu MATE team has control on, it all depends on the designers from System76.

Note that the error message doesn’t mean the theme is unusable, just that it doesn’t have a part for the title bar and you have to use another one.

1 Like

Oh man! That sucks. That’s for that info @terzag . At least I know the installation went well. In that case, give my regards to the team for a job well done. :+1: No big loss really, though I really liked Pop theme on Mate.

Well, as I said, you can still use it, you just have to set a different theme for the windows border part. Also, if you don’t need to use the PPA but only the theme, you can disable it and install the 18.04 version of the theme instead, it should work fine. There might be issues that have been fixed in the more recent version, though, and as it is specific to some GTK versions, the 18.04 one might stop working in future Ubuntu versions (maybe in 19.04, 19.10, later…).

A third possibility would be to keep the PPA and 18.10 version of the theme, grab the package for the 18.04 version, extract the part for Metacity (it’s a dedicated directory) and put it in the 18.10 version. It should fix the issue though it will be a bit of a hack and you might have to clean up things manually if you decide to uninstall it at some point. Tell me if you want to try this, I can explain how to step by step.

Alright let’s try it. :+1:

Ok. First, get the deb package for version 18.04. Go to the PopOS PPA, click on “view package details” and find the “pop-gtk-theme” in the list (it should be on page 2). The one you want is the line with “Bionic”, so "pop-gtk-theme - 3.1.2~1535402967~18.04~cc107bf ". Click on the arrow/triangle on the left to show the details. Scroll down to “Package files” and click on the link to the deb package (pop-gtk-theme_3.1.2~1535402967~18.04~cc107bf_all.deb) to download it.

Open a Caja (file manager) window and go to the dir where it’s been downloaded (should be ~/Download), right click on the deb package and chose “extract here” to uncompress it with Engrampa (the archive manager). Go inside the new dir you get (pop-gtk-theme_3.1.2~1535402967~18.04~cc107bf_all) → usr → share → themes and you’ll see six directories that match the theme variants. I’ve noticed that between v. 18.04 and 18.10, they renamed two of the themes (Pop-dark-slim and Pop-light-slim became Pop-slim-dark and Pop-slim-light), so you’ll have to adapt.

Open another Caja window and go to ~/.local/share/themes (if you don’t have a themes directory in ~/.local/share, just create it). Inside, create these six dirs: Pop, Pop-dark, Pop-light, Pop-slim, Pop-slim-dark and Pop-slim-light. Then, copy the metacity-1 directory from each of the themes extracted (Caja windows #1) to the corresponding dir in ~/.local/share/themes (Caja window #2). As they renamed two themes dirs, the metacity-1 from Pop-dark-slim and Pop-light-slim will go in Pop-slim-dark and Pop-slim-light instead, of course.

When it’s done, check in the Appearance settings if you still have the error. If not, then you’re good and you can stop here.

If you still have the errors, that means that unlike what I thought, the themes engine can’t mix themes parts from two different places, in which case you’ll have to copy them where the themes are actually installed in the system:

sudo cp -R ~/.local/share/themes/Pop/metacity-1 /usr/share/themes/Pop/
sudo cp -R ~/.local/share/themes/Pop-dark/metacity-1 /usr/share/themes/Pop-dark/
sudo cp -R ~/.local/share/themes/Pop-light/metacity-1 /usr/share/themes/Pop-light/
sudo cp -R ~/.local/share/themes/Pop-slim/metacity-1 /usr/share/themes/Pop-slim/
sudo cp -R ~/.local/share/themes/Pop-slim-dark/metacity-1 /usr/share/themes/Pop-slim-dark/
sudo cp -R ~/.local/share/themes/Pop-slim-light/metacity-1 /usr/share/themes/Pop-slim-light/

When it’s done, you can delete the six dirs in ~/.local/share/themes. Then, it should work.

Putting the missing themes parts in ~/.local/share/themes (if it works) has the upside of not fiddling with the files managed by the package at system level. The downside is that if you have several users on your PC, you have to copy them for each user if they want to use the Pop themes.

Putting them at system level has the upside of having them ready for every user but the downside of having “foreign” files in a place managed by a deb package, so if you uninstall it, it’ll keep the files you’ve put manually and you’ll have to delete them yourself (and the dir for each theme that won’t have been removed because it wasn’t empty). Also, if at some point they add the metacity-1 subdir back in each theme, you’ll have errors when updating the package and you’ll have to clean the files yourself (delete the ones you’ve added manually) before forcing the reinstallation of the package.

So, it’s highly recommended to use the first option if it works, it’s far easier to manage.

2 Likes

@terzag thanks for your help on this.

Tried the first option, it’s a no go, but Option 2 worked. I’ll keep in mind about about cleaning the files manually. Pop Theme does look good on Mate :slight_smile:

Have a good weekend man

regards,
ikhwan.

Linux is great for the first six months with Ubuntu. As a long-time Ubuntu user, I have moved between DEs and went as far as trying to intergrate foreign aspects into MATE to add things I might like.

For a “Normie” it is rare the first upgrade goes smoothly and without issue, especially if you follow all the various guides on the Internet. I still need to eval my previous works to make sure they work in Cosmic.

It takes work, but if you like control then you’re still right at home.