User Menu applet

Hello to all . I am developing a panel applet that is simular to the Ubuntu session indicator . I want peoples opinion on this

So on top when opened the applet gives the user image and name .
The user image is obdained by the .face image in the home folder , You can set it via about me dialogue in the control center.
http://hotspot.partiina/status
Next we have a shortcut to the control center.
And the other items in the menu are session based : Lock screen , Logout , Shutdown

If someone has any suggestion I am glag to add them .

Edit: I have set up a git repo for anyone who is interested in helping
https://[email protected]/ikradulov/user-menu-applet.git

1 Like

This seems to be little more than a re-implementation of the “System” menu. But, minus the “Preferences”, “Administration” and “About Mate” sub-menus. I understand it will include a picture of the user. But, that seems to be the only addition and is an aesthetic one as opposed to functional.

It may appeal to others. But, I cant personally see the point of having an extra menu on the panel which only partially replicates one that is already present. Then again, I am more than happy to admit I have lots of things on my panels others would find pointless.

Actualy when a user is using something like Slingscold Launcher (Like me) . The launcher does not have the session commands to logout and etc. And I am forced to have a seccond menu wich I don’t wan’t . (Like in Unity when you open the dash there are only apps). And the menu does not re-implement the System part of Mate Custom Menu . It implements indicator-session from unity http://i.stack.imgur.com/8pGOB.png

aaah slingscold…

Makes some sense now

Nice, it reminds me of a mix between the Ubuntu 11.xx power and user menu.

There are some changes I'd make to touch it up:

• Change User image to about 48x48 pixels, maybe 32x32px.
  • "Log out / Change user" → "Log Out..."
  • "Shutdown" → "Shut Down..."
  • "User Menu" → [User indicator icon] + actual user's name, like this:

Oh I forgot that the user and system menus where split in those days . I will implement it .

I guess you’re building what i wanted since more than a year :smiley: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/power-menu-in-ubuntu-mate

can you make it so it dosent have a usr icon more inline with the original

The icon and name will be moved to the user part of the menu . The other tab you see in the example (The icon and username to the left of the opened menu) . I will make a option of the two menus to be disablable (Have one menu at a time)

Good luck with this project, I will follow it with interest :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update :

1. Splitted the menu

To do :
1.Split src to multiple files.
2.Add gtk event box to properly show the context menu of the applet . (Menus do not support right click)
3.Set the panel icons to aways show regardless of desktop settings .
4.Show multiple user's and implement fast user switching like this

5.Add more items to the system menu

I just wanted to say . I am going to switch the applet object type . The applet is currently menubar but does not act like expected . I can’t remove the label of image menu item , can’t get eventbox to work for right click menu . (2nd is 'couse I am begginer programmer) And now that I started the semester I have no good internet connection and using the free wifi presented . Until I rethink the appket and have good internet connection I will stop working on the applet
:frowning:

If you like, you can publish your code online to a code repository like GitHub. The power of open source means others can study, learn and help improve the code. :wink:

Git repo avalible in the first post I created . It is not github but bitbucket . :slightly_smiling:

nice work mate. :bow: i think i like to see my recent place or specific places (which i can add) added to that panel. just saying.

you have done a great job.

Are you still working on this? is this available for download anywhere? The MATE desktop really needs this. The best possible desktop layout is application menu at the top left, global menu (top menu) next to the application menu, on the top far right should be the session menu where you can control the system levels (log out, hibernate, suspend, reboot, shutdown, switch user), to the left of the session menu is the date/time and next to that is the system tray for network, volume, chat apps, email, dropbox icon, and other persistent applications. at the bottom of the screen is a dock like Plank.

Basically the best desktop mirrors the MAC OS X layout. I’m saying this as a long time Windows user. It’s not that I’m used to OS X I’m saying that after using Windows, Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, etc. OS X is simply the most intuitive. I practically replicated the OS X layout but I need an applet like this to complete it.

As far as I know, official support for indicator-session (the user menu as seen in Ubuntu) is still on the road map. Apparently it’s partially working in 16.10 now by installing and running the indicator-session service. I haven’t tested this though.

I’m not sure about the status of @IvCHo’s remake of this applet.

Actualy no . I am not working on anything mate related since I droped Mate untill it gets Wayland support .Since I started using wayland instead of X.