Video file image preview thumbnails

I noticed in UbuntuMATE the video files thumbnails do not show a preview image like they do in Mint MATE.

they only show the icon with the type of file. but in Mint MATE it shows a image preview of what the video file is. makes it so much easier when looking for a video.

I don’t know what Codecs? maybe that needs to be installed for this to work but it needs to be looked into.

Execute the following command in mate-terminal and you’ll see video thumbnails. You might need to close and reopen Caja, the file manager, after the installation.

sudo apt-get install ffmpegthumbnailer

@Wimpy You might wanna make ffmpegthumnailer pre-installed in future release, eh?

2 Likes

ffmpegthumbnailer will feature, pre-installed, in 15.10. I’m just figuring out what architectures it might be excluded for.

Why? Could you elaborate?

Because PowerPC and armhf may not have enough processing power to generate the video thumbnails that might result in a slow and clunky user experience.

I looked in Mint MATE and " ffmpegthumbnailer" is not installed… so what is giving the image previews in mint MATE? I did a search in synaptic for both mint MATE and Ubuntu MATE for mp4, mpeg, mpeg4, Codecs and only see the same files but Ubuntu MATE has newer versions.

Totem is probably doing the thumbnails in Mint.

Yes a lot of ‘totem’ installed in mint. I tried to install ‘totem’ in ubuntuMATE 15.10 but gave this error

W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/t/totem-pl-parser/gir1.2-totem-plparser-1.0_3.10.5-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb 404 Not Found [IP:91.189.91.23 80]

" ffmpegthumbnailer " works pretty dam good in 15.10, seems light and installed fast.

Got it. Thanks :smile:

1 Like

Thank you… it works great on Ubuntu Mate 14.04.2 64bit. :slight_smile:

This will be included in Ubuntu MATE 15.10 beta 1.

1 Like

I have a question about mkv covers
http://matroska.org/technical/cover_art/index.html
I remuxed some of my favorite movies with mkvtoolnix and I embedded the posters inside them
In windows these are displayed fine using a tool called Icaros which comes with K-lite codec pack

I think they were also displayed fine in Ubuntu 10.10

Are these supported in Ubuntu MATE?