Virtualbox, Nvidia, Legacy and UEFI

I use Ubuntu 16.04 and in my Software Boutique it is “Virtualbox” and “Virtual Machine Manager”. So, I don’t have VMware in my Boutique.

If you decide to install VMware, it comes as a “.bundle” installer. To install programs that come as a “.bundle” for Ubuntu, see below:

One thing to note: don’t delete the “.bundle” installer after you have installed it. If you ever want to uninstall the package, you need to run the “.bundle” installer again and it will give you the option to remove the installed program.

It seems hard to tell the link talks about BIOS mode. Basically UEFI and legacy BIOS will provide different interface to devices.

Just a quick question in legacy mode do you have the Nvidia proprietary graphics card installed?

Yes. The card is installed.

Hi Jim,

I wouldn’t do this!, you should be using the EXT4 file system, is that what you formatted your Linux partitions to?. :smiley:

Yes. I setup everything as in Part 3: Linux Returns of your partitioning guide.

1 Like

Okay, did you use a DVD to do your install and did you burn it at the slowest possible speed?, if you used a USB stick, did you fully format it to FAT32?.

See also:

I did format the USB stick to FAT32. I used Startup Disk Creator in the Control Center and this is how my USB stick looked afterwards: It seems to have been reformatted to FAT16 by Startup Disk Creator.

Also, I keep getting the following warning. As you can see from the above screenshot, gparted in reporting the stick at 57.7 GB, but it's only a 14.4 GB.

I haven't been able to figure out a way to correct this. Does it make any difference?

I've reformatted USB stick, installed unetbootin and installed ubuntu to USB using unetbootin. Here's screenshot using gparted after all completed. Disk size now being reported correctly and error messages no longer showing up. Does this mean I probably have a faulty install of ubuntu?

Hi Jim,

that is quite possible?, it depends on how you did things earlier!, if you didn’t have a correctly formatted USB stick, it may well lead to errors!. :smiley:

The same goes for burning a DVD at the wrong speed!. :smiley:

I have had nothing but problems using unetbootin , in fact I don’t think its ever worked for me.
I ended up using rufus from within windows or using disks found in most linux Os

1 Like

I’ve reformatted my usb twice (the second time took over an hour because I overwrote everything with 0s), and used unetbootin to burn the iso image to disk.

Neither time did unetbootin create a bootable usb. I’ve tried installing mintstick without luck. I also tried disks, but got the same disk layout and error messages (disks reformatted my usb to FAT16) as when using Startup Disk Creator.

I’ve also tried to use udisks2. Synaptic says it’s installed , but I can figure out how to run it. Any thoughts? :dizzy_face:

This is the version of mintstick i use on UM 16.04 64 bit

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mintstick/mintstick_1.2.2_all.deb

How do I install? I get an “unmet dependencies” warning.

You downloaded that copy I linked to and it mentioned unmet dependencies? That’s very odd. I’ve never had that problem. Are you using 16.04 64 bit? If you are, please would you type up the missing dependancies here and I will see what I can come up with. Also, just to clarify, are you attempting to install with Gdebi?

Yes, I'm using Gdebi. Don't know dependencies. Here's the screenshot.

I notice that the dependency it's asking for is udisks. I think Mate 16.04 uses udisks2. Maybe I just need a later version of mintstick?

Try this one:

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mintstick/mintstick_1.2.8_all.deb

3 Likes

That worked. Now how do I get it to run?

I found that mintstick is a gui for diskdump or gdiskdump. However, I don’t find diskdump or gdiskdump in synaptic. Maybe it goes by another name?

Hi Jim,

it should show in System > Administration on the top panel?. :smiley:

Mintstick should have installed all of the underlying dependancies. You can find it under Applications/Accessories. Or, at least that is where is has been placed by the installer on my machine. it will have two menu entries. One for the formatter and one for the usb writer. If I am going to write an ISO to USB, I usually format the USB to 32 bit with the formatter first.

1 Like

Found it! Thanks!

I wanted to take just a moment to thank all the moderators and contributors to our community.

I've been around computers a long time. I started a small business in 1981, and when I got my first financial report from my accountant I had absolutely no clue how my business was doing. My first computer was a Radio Shack - Tandy 1000 with 256 Kb (yes, that kilobytes) of memory and twin floppy drives.

I still remember the nights I beat my head against the wall because I didn't know the difference between an internal and an external command. (An external command is one in which the MSDOS boot floppy had to be in the drive to be read before being replaced by a blank disk you wanted to perform the command on. ex. format and diskcopy) It was a steep learning curve with no one to ask for help.

Being able to come here, with any question, is what I love about open-source. Thank you. For your contribution to making the world a better place, I'd like to award each of you with your first "Attaboy" of the day. :wink:

2 Likes