Virtualbox, Nvidia, Legacy and UEFI

This is the version of mintstick i use on UM 16.04 64 bit

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mintstick/mintstick_1.2.2_all.deb

How do I install? I get an “unmet dependencies” warning.

You downloaded that copy I linked to and it mentioned unmet dependencies? That’s very odd. I’ve never had that problem. Are you using 16.04 64 bit? If you are, please would you type up the missing dependancies here and I will see what I can come up with. Also, just to clarify, are you attempting to install with Gdebi?

Yes, I'm using Gdebi. Don't know dependencies. Here's the screenshot.

I notice that the dependency it's asking for is udisks. I think Mate 16.04 uses udisks2. Maybe I just need a later version of mintstick?

Try this one:

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mintstick/mintstick_1.2.8_all.deb

3 Likes

That worked. Now how do I get it to run?

I found that mintstick is a gui for diskdump or gdiskdump. However, I don’t find diskdump or gdiskdump in synaptic. Maybe it goes by another name?

Hi Jim,

it should show in System > Administration on the top panel?. :smiley:

Mintstick should have installed all of the underlying dependancies. You can find it under Applications/Accessories. Or, at least that is where is has been placed by the installer on my machine. it will have two menu entries. One for the formatter and one for the usb writer. If I am going to write an ISO to USB, I usually format the USB to 32 bit with the formatter first.

1 Like

Found it! Thanks!

I wanted to take just a moment to thank all the moderators and contributors to our community.

I've been around computers a long time. I started a small business in 1981, and when I got my first financial report from my accountant I had absolutely no clue how my business was doing. My first computer was a Radio Shack - Tandy 1000 with 256 Kb (yes, that kilobytes) of memory and twin floppy drives.

I still remember the nights I beat my head against the wall because I didn't know the difference between an internal and an external command. (An external command is one in which the MSDOS boot floppy had to be in the drive to be read before being replaced by a blank disk you wanted to perform the command on. ex. format and diskcopy) It was a steep learning curve with no one to ask for help.

Being able to come here, with any question, is what I love about open-source. Thank you. For your contribution to making the world a better place, I'd like to award each of you with your first "Attaboy" of the day. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @Jim007,

can we mark this as solved now?. :smiley:[quote=“stevecook172001, post:28, topic:11161”]
usually format the USB to 32 bit
[/quote]

Hi @stevecook172001,

do you mean “FAT32”?. :smiley:

Yes. You can stick me with a fork! I’m done!!!

1 Like

Yes, I use FAT 32 Wolfman

1 Like

I think that I have my display problem solved. I found the following information about the Nouveau driver in the Arch Linux Wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/nouveau

It says that after installation nomodeset should be removed from grub:

The error message from running inxi -Cg is gone:

And all available screen resolution for my nvidia card are now available:

I'm not sure how to check for 2D and 3D acceleration, but if this fixes all the issues with my nvidia card, it's a pretty simple fix.

Jim

1 Like

Mintsitck formats in Fat32, NTFS and EXT4

1 Like