VLC flickering and cutting images

Hi everyone. Just installed Mate yesterday. I used the main Ubuntu distro for a long time before, but I started experiencing problems and issues beacuse of updates and so on, so I switched to Mate which it looks great. Everything works properly but I have a little problem when I watch videos with VLC (and SMPlayer): there is a sort of flickering once in a while, especially when there are fast images, for example people running, like a sort of cutting frame. It didn’t happen before with Ubuntu main distro. Is it possible to fix it somehow? Thank you.

Hi @Frank_White, VLC can be picky at times and subtle environment changes makes some “auto” settings no longer select the best option.

Here is a fix for no video that may be effective for more subtle problems, too. I’ve seen major AND minor things get tamed with this.

Hi
I also am a new member of the Mate user group, I have a dual boot (Win 10 – Mate) Lenovo laptop with 8GB ram and an I5 7200U.
If the link added by Bill_MI doesn’t help here is something I have noticed with VLC in Mate.
I have sometimes found that just starting VLC causes CPU load to increase noticeably and when this happens running something as simple as streaming radio causes the CPU to ramp up to 100%. This doesn’t happen in Win 10.

Thank you! I tried it but no improvements. Actually I noticed that happens even with SMPlayer and I would say it’s a general issue: it happens with all kind of images moving fast in the screen: it looks like “cuts” … If I take screenshoots of that it doesn’t appear. Maybe it’s because of a problem between the graphic card and Mate ? Thank you again :slight_smile:

Thank you for your feedback!

The choice of WM has an impact on tearing during video playback.

I recommend the use of Compton (MATE Tweak -> Windows -> Window Manager)

Thank you ouroumov.
I tried but it didn’t work :frowning:
I think it’s due to some kind of issues between Mate and the graphic card in my desktop.
I run an Ubuntu main distro live and I tried to watch some YouTube videos (it happens with any kind of moving images on the screen, especially if it’s very fast, like cuts): not anything like that.
It’s a pity because for the rest Mate works very well and fluid.