VLC not working, shuts down

Hello All :slight_smile:

Has anyone had problems with VLC not working in Ubuntu Mate 17.10? I try to load a video (Mp4), VLC launches waits awhile,trying to load the video I guess, and then quits, or shuts down. The video never loads to play. Now I realize I have Mate on an old laptop, Gateway MX6437, with a single core AMD possessor with 1.5GB of ram. Maybe my ram is not enough on the Gateway. My other computer Acer Aspire 3680, which also as Ubuntu Mate 17.10, has 2GB of ram and VLC runs fine. So I downloaded Dragon Player to play my videos on the Gateway, which works fine.

Any thoughts or Ideas.
Rich.

Try to run it from the terminal (command vlc) to see what errors you get when it shuts down.

If the problem happens only when playing videos, you can try to start the player, go in the preferences → Video and choose a different output. Try Xvideo (XCB), GLX (XCB), X11 (XCB) and eventually OpenGL (experimental). If you have a nVidia GPU, you can also try VDPAU (won’t work on AMD or Intel, only nVidia). Don’t bother with the others, they’re for specific cases.

In my case (AMD GPU using Mesa), I have to use the GLX output.

1 Like

Tanks terzag tried X video(XCB) seems to be working fine now so far.

Rich