Watching vids on line with a Raspberry Pi2, or not?

At the risk of being banned, this appears to be a good place for a good Q. Ubuntu mate is shown as an OS for the Raspberry Pi2 and it is quite good. Still some basic usage appears to be limited by something I don’t quite understand fully. Some sites instantly show an ‘Error’ in the box where vids should be, and others won’t show anything at all (weather dot com, daily motion, etx). Some sites with the ‘HTML5’ plug in will sort of play vids, tho they are extremely choppy, and they don’t all play. Especially with Youtube, the adds before the vids usually attempt to play, then when there done I sometimes get the spinning circle that never gets any further.

Even the vids linked to here, stutter and the video is messed up in areas of fast motion in the vid. And every time the vid stutters I get audible pops from my speakers (as if the amplifier in the Raspberry Pi2 is flipping off and then back on every time the audio stream is dropped by the stuttering vid).

I do acknowledge that the Raspberry Pi2 (4core 900MHz Arm7) is not the fastest CPU around, and the video chip is almost not there at all (probably no better then the old CGA chips of the IBM PC days), lol.

Still, the ‘System Monitor’ is showing the thing at about 50% load on all four CPU cores while vids are playing, and there is a lot more horsepower to tap into. Yet FireFox and that HTML5 thing appears to be falling on it’s face rather then pushing the gas peddle the other half way down.

What is going on? Is it something other then the CPU that’s keeping it from playing vids smoothly (doesn’t mater what size on the screen from in a window to full-screen, 240p threw 1080p and everywhere in between)? Oh I did try to keep the Arm7 from throttling it’s clocks (stuck it to 900Mhz, force_turbo=1), with no effect on video playback at all. It’s sitting comfortably at 98.2F, so I know it’s not an overheating issue.

@zarcondeegrissom The VideoCore IV GPU on the Raspberry Pi 2 is capable of playing 1080p videos. The reason you are not able to play videos via your browser properly is because the application is not optimised to make use of the GPU on the Pi, leading to stutter and choppiness. The same problem is observed while using VLC media player for video playback.

My suggestion would be to download the video using an application such as youtube-dl and subsequently play it with omxplayer.

1 Like

Thanks, rohithmadhavan. While I don’t have an issue with grabbing vids and playing them ‘off-line’, that will be a tough sell to my mother (whom just want’s something to facebook on). I have attempted to save vids from youtube in the past with other tools, and not ALL vids have such permission per se. Also vids from other places like ‘weather dot com’ is a big doubt as of now (I don’t know if I’m missing something, or it’s something else), the vids instantly show the “No valid source could be found” error thing. So that probably isn’t going to be a cure all, by bypassing the video player in Firefox.

I did discover a few things that got something better then random still-frames with glitching audio. Setting the GPU ram to between 128MB and 256MB did have a drastic improvement with videos (still choppy, tho no longer just still’s of the video). Also, using a simple USB audio output device appeared to free up just enough CPU (probably by eliminating the need for 16bit to 11bit down-sampling), to get rid of the popping and stuttering audio with most vids.

Furthermore, as of tonight. There was an epic update that came threw for Ubuntu, Firefox, and something else (I don’t remember what it was, something about ‘base’), that greatly improved the youtube video playback. Small window 360p playback is now smooth, and vastly improved. Understandably full screen 1080p is still quite choppy on the video (whether that’s the 30MBps USB/FSB IO limit, or other Pi2 heard-wear limitations), I’ll at least say, it is now ‘Tolerable’. Thank you very much y’all.

I am not apposed to using omxplayer, I just have not had a chance to get that far with Ubuntu (That’s going to be a dozen other things I need to learn how to do).