Weird Mate Startup Problem

I recently built a new computer using an Asus Z390-A Prime motherboard, i7-9700k CPU which I
have clocked at 4.8 Ghz all cores, 32GB RAM, a WD Blue M.2 drive. I am using the Intel built-in graphics,
and the motherboards built-in audio. The machine boots in 4 seconds, but login takes almost half a
minute. I have Ubuntu-Mate 19.04 installed and there is for some reason a 17 second delay between
when the Xorg server starts and Mate draws the first panel during which absolutely nothing is logged
anywhere giving me no clue as to what is causing this long delay. Any hints at how to troubleshoot?

1 Like

Just to clarify, is the slowness happening at this point in the startup sequence?

• :heavy_check_mark: BIOS/POST boot (4 seconds)
  • :heavy_check_mark: Boot kernel and system (splash screen)
  • :heavy_check_mark: Login (Xorg started, can see a cursor)
  • :zzz: Loading the MATE desktop (can see a wallpaper or black screen)

Do you have automatic login enabled? I ask just to rule out if the blank screen is caused by LightDM (login) rather then MATE (session start)

Do you see a wallpaper? I ask in case MATE had loaded (i.e. you can right click the desktop), but it's the panels that specifically take longer to appear.

Tip 1 - You could check the output of this command in the Terminal - normally this helps investigate how long services take to initialise during system boot. For a spec of your computer, a service shouldn't really take more then 5 seconds.

systemd-analyze blame

Tip 2 - If you've checked all the usual logs (dmesg, /var/log/Xorg.log), try logging into a console (CTRL+ALT+F2) within those 17 seconds and check which processes are running:

There could be one stuck at 100% CPU for some time, which will help pinpoint which process to investigate. To get back to the graphical session, press CTRL+ALT+F7.

If of course, the wallpaper appears but the panels don't, then you should be able to press CTRL+ALT+T to open a Terminal window instead.

Wallpaper takes a long time to come up. It is the login process and only graphical logins that are slow. Console / ssh logins nearly instantaneous, boot up takes less than four seconds, but login close to thirty.

No, don't have automatic login enabled.
It's the login, Xorg starts right away but takes another 30 seconds or so before wall paper, panels, etc, show up. Blame is not useful in this context because the boot time is fine, less than 4 seconds, it is the
login that is slow.

I have that as well, especially on my Celeron powered laptop even though it has a ssd and boots in like 7 seconds, my new Ryzen powered desktop not as bad even though it has a hard drive, maybe MATE doesn't like Intel any more :joy: