What does the community think about an Ubuntu Mate Mascot?

This is clearly an arresting and attractive image and I can see that quite probably a certain section of the male demographic of the Ubuntu Mate community will find this kind of wallpaper very appealing. However, as a formal mascot of the brand, given we surely want Linux in general and Ubuntu Mate in particular to appeal to as wide a demographic as possible; including women, children, families ect (as well as single, horny young men), this image is not suitable in my opinion.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right Steve! I didn’t thought about this picture to use it as a mascote, just as wallpaper! I like the retro version of pin ups, particularly them of Art Nouveau in the end of 19th century! This one of course is newer (I guess 50. style), but has an retro touch as well.

I’ didn’t realized, that the discussion of a mascot is still going on. But for my part, my first favorite is still the frog above. And of course, I’m going with you completely about demographic questions and equality! I claim, UM is an OS for the 21th century, not for the 20th century in past! :smile:

2 Likes

OK, not all of us are straight males or lesbians. Some love for the Gay geeks too? Anyway. I personally like the tree frog and the jungle theme, but like mentioned before, too close to Mint and Bodhi for the plant theme. And one not mentioned, the tree frog, isn’t a bit close to the chameleon from SuSE (even though I love the chameleon). Here’s an idea that no one mentioned. Everytime I look at the Ubuntu MATE logo, I keep thinking of a Cerberus, the three headed dog guardian of the underworld. Could be green. But I do like the references to MatĂ©.

1 Like

The Pin-Ups had been a sideshow-discussion, but not really thought for a mascot. Further, the focus was not set on a sexual perspective. My Idea was to import a retro Label-design to modern-retro Ubuntu. That shouldn’t be a chauvinistic statement for straight male sexuality. This community appreciate all geeks inclusive LGBT-Geeks! :sunglasses:

Your input concerning the mentioned animals makes sense. Cerberus could be an idea to thinking further about, but I guess, there are some projects with this mythological animal. For example: https://www.cerberusapp.com/

The LGBT comments were really just tongue in cheek, I know it was just for fun and not serious. I know y’all are cool. Can’t imagine any geek being homophobic. Cerberus app looks neat, I guess I never heard of it being in the US (noticed the price in €). And never looked for anything like it because get Lookout Premium with my Jump! Subscription with T-Mobile USA. Does all the same, but I don’t think it has a flash able version.

Anyway, was actually imagining something more like the Kerberos Productions Logo http://www.kerberos-productions.com, only more stylized like the Xubuntu mouse. But maybe green wouldn’t work though. So another idea would be the three headed hydra. And even if someone doesn’t recognize it as a hydra, it would still kinda look like a 3 headed dragon. I just keep seeing the Ubuntu MATE equation with animation, but I don’t have the skill to animate that. But I could look for Hydra images.

@Atreju I’m just kinda more an ideas man. Don’t really have a lot of graphics skills. But more than happy to do end user beta testing and have my brain picked.

The missing skills for creating a Logo is my problem as well! :smile: A three headed hydra could symbolize the different variants for individualization of Ubuntu Mate, but as the history of Mate Desktop as well, because Ubuntu had beheaded Gnome 2 off and then it has been grow up as Mate for new - such as a head by a hydra.
I think its possible as well as to design a “friendly-looking” Hydra?! The Xubuntu mouse is a good way for orientation for simplify a Logo.

1 Like

Maté is of guarani origin, I suggest a guarani characterized Tux, possibly drinking from a maté gourd. I also like the idea of the frog! By the way, the word for frog in guarani is "ju'i". That would make an awesome mascot name.

Mate is best drunk on Ipanema beach, cold-iced, with a dash of lemon...

1 Like