What Linux file manager is at par with the Win Explorer?

Before I assumed the Win Explorer is just boiler plate, but it is not. Disappointingly e. g. „Duration“ as a column for .mp4 is not available, dragndrop from the window into a flashdrive icon does not work, pasting a file into the window of the filemanager impossible. There are more obstacles for a speedy work flow, these examples should suffice. A file manager is the most important software, at least for me. I read a few manuals, watched vids-no avail. As I am not Linux expert, am I right or wrong? Or did I miss something? Are there things only a Linux file manager can do?

...pasting a file into the window of the filemanager impossible.....

No it isn't. I have just done it

.....dragndrop from the window into a flashdrive icon does not work.....

Well spotted, I have only just noticed that myself after trying it. But, it does work when dragging and dropping onto other drive icons. So, that needs dealing with.

....There are more obstacles for a speedy work flow, these examples should suffice....

It is impossible to say whether or not I agree. What are these other obstacles?

Works perfectly for me here. However I am running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and Caja 1.16.6.

In my opinion Windows Explorer doesn't hold a candle to Caja.

1 Like

On balance, I agree with that

1 Like

it does here on 18.04 just tried it unless I'm misunderstanding what your meaning

2 Likes

Hallo Cybit

I work with the Redmond file manager where I am employed, since W95.
I prefer Caja or Dolphin by far ( I'm not a fan of Nautilus or Thunar).
Drag-and-drop is not relevant for me, I use the keyboard whenever possible. :computer_mouse: --> :cat2: (oops, my first attempt at emoji humor).

By the way have you seen these:

Of course if you want total control of your file management try getting into the command line - it's a universe of new possibilities. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Midnight commander is a terminal style file manager and is one of the most powerful tools you can use. But be careful as it does not hold your hand. :slight_smile:

That is right, as long as the window is not full. If so, I can paste a file into a folder only. But that was not intended-so what to do?
"It is impossible to say whether or not I agree. What are these other obstacles?"
If something is highlighted in the WinExpl. I simply click somewhere outside and the highlighted file or folder is not longer highlighted. In a Linux file manager the highlighted area is going from left to right completely, a simple click will not remove the highlighted area. There were more obstacles, I stopped using Linux quite a while ago, because I was fed up with the file browser. I was reluctant to post these problems in a forum, because it might be unwelcome, useless and getting unpolite nonsense as answers. Further I am not very experienced with forums and describing problems in a proper and easy to grasp way. Anyway, as you see, I give it a try.

In a Linux course I completed long time ago, was a gent like you, working with computers just via cmd. He was grown up with computers. Sometimes he was a bit upset, saying the terminal is pretty outdated, but the course was most of the time dealing with the terminal. I forgot nearly all cmds and the GUI is the main tool nowadays. In case, I start with Linux anew, I will learn them by rote, otherwise it is simply too slow. Thanks for the hint with the videos-so I can see, what Caja can do. Concerning Thunar-it is the hell!

I do all this and more under Caja no problems. If you can't perform these simple operations, you have bigger issues that comparing Linux file managers to Windows Explorer won't resolve.

1 Like

I say that Dolphin is the best compared to Win Explorer, but I use Nautilus because I like stuff simple