When will Gimp be updated to 2.10

What I also thought is if you had installed Gimp 2.8 through Software Boutique.

In my case, GIMP 2.8 was installed long ago (on UM 17.04 I think) through the Ubuntu repos (Boutique, Synaptic, APT, whatever). I used Otto Kesselgulasch PPA a few days ago to update GIMP from my 2.8 version.

The tests I made in my latest messages were on a fresh UM 18.04 installed in Virtualbox.

There’s something I didn’t notice in your crash report: it’s mentioning overwrites of a plugin from gimp-plugin-registry. Did you try to install gimp-plugin-registry and/or other packages (I see G’MIC in your available updates) along GIMP 2.8 before using the PPA or during your tests in a VM? Is so, that might be the cause of the issue.

Sorry, I am a novice and haven’t done anything, but only tried to install. I nade exactly the steps as described.

Just to check this, can you give me the output of the following command (now that you have GIMP 2.10 installed)?

apt-cache policy gimp-gmic gmic gimp-plugin-registry

G’MIC is a collection of various filters while GIMP Plugin Registry is a collection of plugins. It’s possible that they’re packaged differently in the Ubuntu repos and in Otto Kesselgulasch’s PPA, which could explain why the update crashed. And you seem to have installed them (G’MIC is listed in the Software Updater capture while gimp-plugin-regisrty is mentioned in the crash report) but they’re not supposed to be automatically installed with GIMP.

Here you go: It looks like I don't have them. I still wonder what was different in your case. We need another person to run a test.

I can confirm that you don’t have them installed.

I’ll have to reinstall Ubuntu MATE on my laptop, I’ll do a quick test with GIMP.

EDIT: ok, I could replicate the issue. On a fresh UM 18.04, I had the idea of installing GIMP from the Software Boutique (which I never do, I’m so used to the command line that I manage my softwares directly with APT), as I realized you probably used it in the first place. And there’s something weird in the installation of GIMP from the Boutique. For some reason, it also installs:

• gimp-gmic
  • gimp-plugin-registry
  • gimp-gap & mplayer
    And as it seems that the GIMP package from Otto Kesselgulasch’s PPA include files that are in the gimp-plugin-registry, the process breaks. I’m not sure if it’s a decision from him or if GIMP 2.10 added some new plugins that were independant before.

And the fact that it worked when you followed some of my instructions using command line is because they simply installed GIMP, no extra packages.

I’ll report the issue to him but it might be worth looking why GIMP from the Boutique installs extra packages. It’s likely a choice by the UM MATE developers (as softwares in the Boutique are more or less manually curated).

EDIT: so, until this is sorted out, if you want to install GIMP on UM 18.04, you have these possibilities:

1. Stick with GIMP 2.8 if you install it from the Software Boutique.
  2. Install it manually rather than using the Boutique if you want to use GIMP 2.10, either through Synaptic or APT, by installing only the gimp package. In that case, it doesn’t matter if you install GIMP first then upgrade, or if you add the PPA first (but in any case, don’t install it from the Boutique while using the PPA).
  3. If you want to install it through the Boutique but still upgrade to 2.10, be sure to purge the gimp-plugin-registry package before adding the PPA.
2 Likes

Hallo Newhere

Screenshots - have you tried “Shutter”? It’s “Edit” function covers most basic editing needs. Unfortunately, the edit function’s dependencies are not yet included in the 18.04 repositories so you have to go and add them yourself:

Have fun. :slight_smile:

Thanks, alpinejohn.

This topic was solved by reinstalling Ubuntu Mate and then installing Gimp 2.10 as ppa. My Ubuntu Mate and Gimp work marvellous.

OMG Ubuntu also mentioned issues and advised to remove Gimp 2.8 first if one wants t install version 2.10.

Umm… I just installed 2.10 from the Software Center, and it worked just fine with 2.8 also installed. I’ve also installed it via flatpak, and it worked that way too.

You can just browse ubuntu-software(can be installed from software boutique) for gimp and you will find a snap there(v2.10). Tried just now.