Where is Mate 1.22 going to land?

Hi,

Sorry if I missed it, but I could not find a clear and official source of information stating where Mate 1.22 is going to land...

A lot of features are really appealing :slight_smile:

Ubuntu 19.04? Are updates going to reach Ubuntu 18.04?

4 Likes

I'm currently preparing MATE Desktop 1.22 packages in a PPA to make sure everything works correctly. There are API changes in MATE itself and I need to make sure 3rd party plugins continue to work.

In 19.04 is the latest patched releases of MATE Desktop 1.20 which include some backported fixes from 1.22. It is really tight for getting 1.22 in 19.04, but I'm trying...

15 Likes

Looking forward to the update. Thank you for your hard work!

1 Like

Cool. Thanks for your dedication man :+1:

MATE Desktop 1.22 didn't make the cut :slightly_frowning_face: I explain why in the Ubuntu MATE 19.04 Beta release notes:

I installed Mate 1.22 on Ubuntu 18.04.2 from ppa:jonathonf/mate-1.22 but Brisk menu does not appear, even if I add it many times, it's not visible.

I've no idea who that guy is, but he needs patches for many of his packages. I suggest you remove that PPA it is all kinds of broken.

Thanks, I removed the ppa with ppa-purge and now everything works fine,
Thanks really for your hard works and for this great version of ubuntu.

Those packages are built using the official packaging files from here:

If there's an issue with those packaging files then maybe that needs to be reported on the GitHub issue tracker?

The PPA packages themselves work fine for me on my PC, so... :man_shrugging:

Brisk Menu needs patches. It's being worked on.

@jonathon Nice to e-meet you :slight_smile:

The packages you're basing from are reference packages and not the packages Debian and Ubuntu MATE use. Sadly that causes issues when people enable your PPA and then attempt to upgrade.

You can find the packaging Debian and Ubuntu MATE use here:

I have local branches I'm testing for MATE Desktop 1.22 on 19.04. I will be pushing the changes to Debian experimental soon. But you can find my testing PPA here:

You can grab the .dsc files to see what changes I've been making.

Would you be interested in joining the Debian and Ubuntu MATE Packaging Team on Salsa? I can introduce you to the team lead etc and we'd welcome the help.

As for Brisk Menu, even with patches, it is crashing a lot. We're working on fixes for that, they are a few weeks away :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

That explains a lot, though not really why they're available. Having a set of packaging files which don't work seems a bit pointless when there's a set of working Debian/Ubuntu packaging files...

Cool. I'll compare the changes and rebuild my PPA against the working packaging files. There are too many issues coming through from the reference files (e.g. empty packages :roll_eyes:).

I'm always happy to help out where I can. I use MATE on all of my machines so it's a probably another reasonable use of my time. :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing I do appreciate after spending time building Debian/Ubuntu packages is the Arch approach of not carrying patches to fix issues with upstream software. Given the lack of patches in the Arch packaging files there must be a more streamlined way of building the Debian packages too...

1 Like

My understanding is Linux Mint still use them. I've been asking that they work with the Debian packaging team for a good while.

Would be great to have you helping. What do you need to know to pitch in?

I used to be an Arch Linux TU maintaining MATE packages before I started Ubuntu MATE. So, I'm familiar with the philosophy of not carrying patches or carrying as few as possible.

Personally, I only carry patches from MATE Desktop upstream commits that fix significant issues or or required to integrate with Ubuntu. All the MATE packagers for Debian are upstream MATE Desktop contributors, so if we do find the need to patch something for Debian we tend to send a PR upstream.

The exceptions to that are:

• A couple of minor patches to facilitate Indicator integration.

• Remote Desktop Awareness (RDA), which is in MATE Desktop branches upstream but didn't make the cut for MATE 1.22. We are carrying that as distro patches in Debian and Ubuntu because the lead of the MATE packaging team for Debian also leads the X2Go project and has a client requirement for this in Debian 10.

• Brisk Menu, which has essentially lost its upstream maintainer. I am hoping that we can get involved there and get the rather extensive patch set merged upstream. We have filed several PRs, some of which got lost in the change of administration in the Solus project last year.

That should bring you up to speed on most of the packaging back story :slight_smile:

1 Like